Octopus questions

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good question,octopi are very curious and one would probably eventually wind up finding it's way into the skimmer box and then down into the sump.
I kept them years ago but I used a hang on power filter coupled with a protein skimmer.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Probably, if you can seal the overflow and make it Octopus proof?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I was going to get one and had done alot of research. I made a plastic screen top with clamp locks for my tank. I got a flow diffuser and glued it to the inlet pipe. The overflow had to be modified to have no opening bigger then 1/4 inch, that was the size of it's beak if it can get its beak in the whole octopus is in. Then I waited for the lfs to get another one. During this time I started to look up other people's stories about having one and they all said the same thing only had it for 6 months to a year. The problem is most of the ones they sell only live for around 2 years, and you have no idea how old it is when caught. By the time you get it it may only have 6 months left. I decided to not get one based on that. I knew that they had short lives but I guess I didnt really think about the fact that they have lived for X months before coming to me.

Reactions: BichirKing

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is it possible to make anything octopus proof? I've never had them but seen some incredible escapes by them on YouTube etc.
I think they'd be a very cool pet to keep.
Very cool.Despite the fact that most of them have a rather short lifespan they are the coolest wet pet ever in my opinion.
I was worried about mine escaping through some small opening in the top of my tank so I taped off everything that I could with duct tape.I got tired of that and eventually tore it all off.Surprisingly, none of my octopi ever tried to escape my tanks.
There were times when I'd have the lid open and dangle my fingers in the water and the octopus would make its way over and actually tug on my finger with it's tentacles.I would then give it a raw shrimp as a treat.The octopus would take it and backtrack to it's cave with the morsel.
I am always tempted to get another one whenever I see one in a shop and I will some day.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Very cool.Despite the fact that most of them have a rather short lifespan they are the coolest wet pet ever in my opinion.
I was worried about mine escaping through some small opening in the top of my tank so I taped off everything that I could with duct tape.I got tired of that and eventually tore it all off.Surprisingly, none of my octopi ever tried to escape my tanks.
There were times when I'd have the lid open and dangle my fingers in the water and the octopus would make its way over and actually tug on my finger with it's tentacles.I would then give it a raw shrimp as a treat.The octopus would take it and backtrack to it's cave with the morsel.
I am always tempted to get another one whenever I see one in a shop and I will some day.

Were you surprised of the strength of even of one tentacle. I couldn't imagine a Giant Pacific Octopus grabbing my arm that would be scary.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was actually.The strength was noticeable eventhough the ceph was not large at all.I have seen some for sale with head/bodies about the size of a baseball which is an impressive size for a tank specimen when you envision it all stretched out.

Last edited:

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Were you surprised of the strength of even of one tentacle. I couldn't imagine a Giant Pacific Octopus grabbing my arm that would be scary.
They have one at the Dubai mall aquarium, feeding time is 11am in the morning. The GPO comes to the top of the tank, and half comes out where it then gets fed, so you can see its beak. This is when you can put your hands and arms there and the tentacles touch and feel you. Really cool feeling. You can feel the power in there suction cups and arms, unyet it has a gentle touch.
Please excuse poor video quality, it was not my video but someone else in the group. Ill be visiting the aquarium again soon and hopefully get a better, higher quality video.

GPO.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store