octopus tanks

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
anyone here ever had an octopus? I know they don't live very long. I am hoping to keep one later on.

any ideas how to secure the lid so it can't get out?

thanks
john

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was really into them several years ago and they were awesome animals to keep...They should be kept on their own or they could kill or be killed by something else and a tight fitting lid is highly recommended to prevent possible escapes.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with K krichardson tight fitting lids with clamps be cautious of filter intakes also Octopus even small are very strong and extremely intelligent imo.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,years ago I filmed the antics of one of mine with a vhs camera and I still have the cassette tape.I wish that there was some way I could show it to you all.That was a bit before cell phones got smart and had cameras lol.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
The tank was acrylic and I bolted on a top with vents 20x20 mesh screen same as my dart frog tank. I had trouble keeping it at a cool enough temp. Omg the food cost was crazy. It died not long after a yr. It's a lot of money time and emotional investment for such a short life span, but was an awesome animal. Ive always wanted a big cuttlefish.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/so-you-want-to-keep-an-octopus.htm

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
in the research stage and thanks for the link. along time ago I had a saltwater tank with sea horses and a puffer but not at the same time. sea horses are cool but very challenging and hard to feed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
in the research stage and thanks for the link. along time ago I had a saltwater tank with sea horses and a puffer but not at the same time. sea horses are cool but very challenging and hard to feed.

I weaned Seahorses on frozen Mysis shrimp and they searched the live rock for Coepods without the Mysis shrimp I agree would have been challenging .

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I agree with K krichardson tight fitting lids with clamps be cautious of filter intakes also Octopus even small are very strong and extremely intelligent imo.
Agreed on the tight fitting lid. I have seen videos of them getting out of places you would never expect them to be able to fit through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store