Of general interest (The Amazon Basin in peril)

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I thought people would enjoy seeing this article, although some probably have already.
It discusses fish, fisheries, the people, the rivers, the Amazon Basin, the Andes, the challenges and the wonders).

MarlinB1987

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2020
Thanks for sharing that. It's a good read. The Amazon is such an amazing area and very intriguing. I haven't made it that way yet, but every time I see a show with someone fishing there the stuff they pull out is crazy. It's definitely something that needs to be protected.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am glad you liked it. It is a wonderful place, and a big problem ripe with issues for conservation, development (sustainable and otherwise), tourism, and exploitation-minded frameworks. Much awareness of these conflicting issues are owed to the work of Michael Goulding and others like him.
One of his works that I would recommend to anyone is shown below, a very nice introduction (with much detail) of the greater Amazon Basin and the many Sub-Basins and names of individual streams and locations. With some frequency we want to know where are the locations whose names are applied to fish we see advertised, or which we actually get. This is a nice place to find many of those, with photos of some places, and to understand how they fit within the bigger picture. Of course Google Earth can do some of that and more, but here you get the specific basin-by-basin treatment, which Goggle Earth itself cannot compile. This book is still available and sometimes copies are on eBay at a decent price. Cheers!

GouldingM etal 2003 The Smithsonian Atlas of the Amazon.jpg

MarlinB1987

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2020
I am glad you liked it. It is a wonderful place, and a big problem ripe with issues for conservation, development (sustainable and otherwise), tourism, and exploitation-minded frameworks. Much awareness of these conflicting issues are owed to the work of Michael Goulding and others like him.
One of his works that I would recommend to anyone is shown below, a very nice introduction (with much detail) of the greater Amazon Basin and the many Sub-Basins and names of individual streams and locations. With some frequency we want to know where are the locations whose names are applied to fish we see advertised, or which we actually get. This is a nice place to find many of those, with photos of some places, and to understand how they fit within the bigger picture. Of course Google Earth can do some of that and more, but here you get the specific basin-by-basin treatment, which Goggle Earth itself cannot compile. This book is still available and sometimes copies are on eBay at a decent price. Cheers!

View attachment 1436957
Awesome, thank you for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store