OHF Trickle Tower

cwk84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Need some opinions here. I have a 20 gallon tank. I'm thinking to DIY OHF Trickle Tower using a small
stackable drawer type. Is it possible to use it on a 20 gallon tank?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
It will work but water may evaporate fast.
Agreed. Evap might be higher depending on if you have a lid of not. I made one out of a little thing like that it worked great on a 7.5 gallon betta tank I had. Didn't really see a huge increase in evap either. Used the same design to make my current filtration on my 180....Same just bigger and under the tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

cwk84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2017
Agreed. Evap might be higher depending on if you have a lid of not. I made one out of a little thing like that it worked great on a 7.5 gallon betta tank I had. Didn't really see a huge increase in evap either. Used the same design to make my current filtration on my 180....Same just bigger and under the tank.
Did you have a sample picture on how your OHF trickle filter works? I'm planning to
cover it with some Poly carbon act as a lid. Did the water evap fast?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
No pics, unfortunately. I used a small 4 drawer desk top storage cabinet, like from staples to hold pens and stuff. I had a 1/2" bulk head that I put through the top, filled the drawers with media and used a 1/2" bulkhead on the bottom to send water back to tank. I used a mj900 to feed it with a sponge filter to supply the water from the tank. Looking back I should have just cut a opening to allow the water to fall out the bottom drawer back in to the tank but I was worried itd be to much flow and was also worried about the water noise. You also have to drill lots of holes in the drawer bottoms. I had the majority of it sitting on a brick behind the tank about 3" was hanging over the back of the tank. I would also like to add that while it worked great my design had a few "flaws" but not design damaging. The water going into the filter needed to be spread out to make use of all the filter floss and bio material in the next drawer down like making a spray bar or a pre dispersion chamber to spread out the water flow over the entire drawer. The bulk head in the bottom also took up a lot of space that could have been used for bio, just making a hole or cutting out a section would have been better or allowing the water to build up a bit and putting the bulkhead in the front of the drawer. Hope that paints a decent pic for you. No noticeable evap increase.

cwk84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2017
No pics, unfortunately. I used a small 4 drawer desk top storage cabinet, like from staples to hold pens and stuff. I had a 1/2" bulk head that I put through the top, filled the drawers with media and used a 1/2" bulkhead on the bottom to send water back to tank. I used a mj900 to feed it with a sponge filter to supply the water from the tank. Looking back I should have just cut a opening to allow the water to fall out the bottom drawer back in to the tank but I was worried itd be to much flow and was also worried about the water noise. You also have to drill lots of holes in the drawer bottoms. I had the majority of it sitting on a brick behind the tank about 3" was hanging over the back of the tank. I would also like to add that while it worked great my design had a few "flaws" but not design damaging. The water going into the filter needed to be spread out to make use of all the filter floss and bio material in the next drawer down like making a spray bar or a pre dispersion chamber to spread out the water flow over the entire drawer. The bulk head in the bottom also took up a lot of space that could have been used for bio, just making a hole or cutting out a section would have been better or allowing the water to build up a bit and putting the bulkhead in the front of the drawer. Hope that paints a decent pic for you. No noticeable evap increase.
Thanks for the guide. Will try it out and test it. Thanks a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store