One gar with like size koi

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
This fish in question is a WC spotted gar. I tried keeping it in my 110 trough until my dedicated gar pond is built but he wasn't having it. It is currently acclimating to the pond. My koi are all much too big for food or to even be mistaken as such. Has anyone tried this before? I'm moderately comfortable with the idea... it's only until the other pond is complete. Maybe 6 months tops.

If no one else has done this then I'll be the water tester for you.

Reactions: Mighty Wizard

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
There was a poster HungDang HungDang that used to keep some wild caught spotted gars with koi. From what I remember he did not have any issues from the setup. The gars were on the larger size, as I believe the koi were. He maintained them in a larger outdoor setup.

I would just watch that the gar is getting enough food, koi can be gluttons and will likely go after the food first.

Reactions: Codyjphoto

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
There was a poster HungDang HungDang that used to keep some wild caught spotted gars with koi. From what I remember he did not have any issues from the setup. The gars were on the larger size, as I believe the koi were. He maintained them in a larger outdoor setup.

I would just watch that the gar is getting enough food, koi can be gluttons and will likely go after the food first.
Appreciate the positive reinforcement bud

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
I'm pretty new to keeping gars myself, but from what I've observed and read, I think that they are very unlikely to attack anything they can't eat. While they have some very big teeth, they're pretty much tailored to grab and incapacitate smaller fish by puncturing, they wouldn't be very effective for ripping apart a fish like for example a wolf fish could do, and much less a similarly sized fish.

And that is one beautiful fish by the way.

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I'm pretty new to keeping gars myself, but from what I've observed and read, I think that they are very unlikely to attack anything they can't eat. While they have some very big teeth, they're pretty much tailored to grab and incapacitate smaller fish by puncturing, they wouldn't be very effective for ripping apart a fish like for example a wolf fish could do, and much less a similarly sized fish.

And that is one beautiful fish by the way.

Thank you! Last night I had the unfortunate time of finding the gar had jumped from the pond and was some feet away from it. I was lucky enough to find it in time and it was still flopping. My guess is the koi spooked it into jumping. It is now in the pond and comfortable. I believe it to be eating thawed shad, though I never see this happen. I'll be trying to stick around after throwing these to the shallows so as to see what is eating them. I wouldn't think the koi would. They take their floating pellets.

I'm hoping to acquire a like size long nose gar to keep him company.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store