One of my kelberi

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Very Nice and strong looking, I've recently bought a juvenile around 2" in size , I was curious to how big they really get , research says 18" in the wild & 10-12" within the aquarium but from my very limited experience fish always pass the aquarium/hobby max size but I have zero experience with Peacock bass.

Reactions: Dw18908

Dw18908

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2019
Yea it’s a bit of a mystery to me too, I’ve heard anywhere from 12-18. This ones farmed and I hear they stay closer to 12-14 range. But this guys 9-10 inches and still pretty young so we shall see

Reactions: LifeT

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
A while ago some 18in kelberis were sold. So it can get big in home aquariums. Most pbass kept long enough and kept well will get 18-20 in except temensis but they get larger.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Kels can definitely get big. It’s funny because online it’s just numbers, but for every inch a bass grows it puts on so much width and height. I recently picked up an azul around 15-16” and I was shocked at the size. As I was driving home I just kept thinking, “and Kelberi max out 2 inches bigger than this??”. The smallest bass are still huge and I definitely wouldn’t bank on one ending at 12” with their appetites haha. Your guy is gorgeous and looks super healthy great job

Reactions: Dw18908 and LifeT

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Yes I completely agree & often think fish shops should display 3d models of any fish that gets pretty big, 12+" on paper or on a tape measure looks alot smaller then the actual fish , I have a 14" oscar and honestly he's huge...well 14" inches ? but ya know what I mean ?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Yes I completely agree & often think fish shops should display 3d models of any fish that gets pretty big, 12+" on paper or on a tape measure looks alot smaller then the actual fish , I have a 14" oscar and honestly he's huge...well 14" inches ? but ya know what I mean ?
A 14” Oscar is nothing to take lightly that’s an impressive fish! But yes people only think of the length and never the actual area the fish takes up. Like a 14” bass could have 2-3 times the body mass of a 12” bass. If I weighed all 4 of my other 9”-12” pinima and brokopondo, my azul would probably be just about the same. I definitely agree with you on the 3D models, even just a paper cutout to show the silhouette. Especially when the fish are high bodied

Reactions: LifeT

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Yeah true even a cut out slotted down the back of the tank with the adult size would definitely give people a better idea over overall size

• Love
Reactions: Blakewater

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah true even a cut out slotted down the back of the tank with the adult size would definitely give people a better idea over overall size
Maybe even Another cut out of how big it would be in 6 months/12 months. Maybe that would help cut down amazon cat sales to unknowing buyers. If every person saw a 24” red tail and saw a note saying “12 months” I bet there would be a LOT fewer in the hobby today. I mean mines only 4 months old and is pushing 12”

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store