One of the rarest monster Doradidae - Trachydoras paraguayensis

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
With a robust max size of ~4 inches :) Wes sent me 4 of these in Aug 2015. I'm down to two today. One was harassed until it fell ill and died by a 2" Asian USD catfish. Another passed for unknown reason, could have been high nitrates ~100 ppm. Wasted away very slowly.

From my superficial observations, their biology is very much like that of corydoras in all regards.

The photos are from a year ago:

Trachydoras pack.JPG Trachydoras paraguayensis-1.JPG Trachydoras paraguayensis-2.JPG Trachydoras paraguayensis-4.JPG Trachydoras paraguayensis-5.JPG Trachydoras paraguayensis-7.JPG Trachydoras paraguayensis-8.JPG Trachydoras paraguayensis-9.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks much, yahall!

Woah, those guys look finesse
How'd you come across these guys if you don't mind me asking?
By accident. fugupuff fugupuff Wes surprised me with them out of his own volition - last Aug of 2015 he sent me lots of fish in 10 boxes, most I purchased, some he donated / gifted.

So you'd have to ask him.

BTW, the ID is unclear to me. Wes' ID may be quite right but I wanted to confirm with other experts on PCF but it has been rather inconclusive so far: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42388&hilit=trachydoras

Dr. Heok Hee Ng (aka Silurus on PCF) thinks these might as well be the much more commonly known Trachydoras nattereri. Jools has not said anything after Wes provided the collection info.

PCF doesn't even have any photos for this species. Neither does FishBase.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update on two surviving specimen, June 14, 2017. Second one died of an unknown reason - stopped feeding or fed poorly for many months, got thin, then perished.

Can spot them in this video:

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
Update on two surviving specimen, June 14, 2017. Second one died of an unknown reason - stopped feeding or fed poorly for many months, got thin, then perished.

Can spot them in this video:

Hey! I understand this is a quite a while later. But how is your catfish doing now? Contemplating tracking one down for my 90 gallon community.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for the poke.

I've lost the last two over a year or so since the last post. I have been having problems with my water being too soft and pH unstable back then, which I tentatively assume what affected these little guys.

Plus the very hot water in the summers of 85-90 F for 6-7 months.

Don't let my wretched experience faze you. I think they are hardy and cool little fish to stock. They may prefer to be in a group. They appear to my superficial glance much like corydoras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store