Orange Pike?

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
Has anyone seen these before? Anyone know the scientific name for them. Aggresiveness, Size all that fun stuff. Local LFS has one and I'm debating on buying a couple.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
I think its only perfect that I answer this for you :D . Orange pikes scientific name is crenicichla xingu 1

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
Group: Lugubris

Distribution: Endemic to Rio Xingu

Size: 12-14 inches

they lose their awesome color when they get to be about 6-7 inches though. the male turns to kind of a dull but still cool greenish color and the females stomach will get red.

theyre generally peaceful until they reach maturity. Then they'll get pretty aggressive.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Mine hit about four inches and started tearing the crap outta my fish. And now they are perfectly fine. They are very fun fish and the females are absolutley awsome when they hit full size.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
LOL!! NOW YOU GET IT RIGHT BEN!! lol...nice! Kudos to you bro! Xingu I do get more aggressive as they get older. They are rather aunry pikes to say the least. The female are extremely beautiful, gettin dark almost black on both ends with a burgandy red center adbomen...at least mine did, with a white stripe in her dorsal fin that was spectacular. The males are more of a olive green drab color...but still kewl lookin. They will go through two color changes though, so don't loose interest in them, cut they will snap outa it around 9" or so...trust me...and its totally awesome to see!

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
Are Fronts a suitable tankmate or no?

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
What LFS did you see these at?

I'm also in chicago

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Pikes are hit and miss concernin tank mates bro.....some work, some don't. Considering how much frontz are....it would be a bit risky...but if your kewl with it...i'd say try it.

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
Tropi-quatics in Lombard on Main St.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store