Orange spotted goby hops backwards?

scherbert

Feeder Fish
Mar 24, 2016
I have an orange spotted goby with a pistol shrimp in a 10 gallon tank, and I finally moved the tank within eyesight of my couch.
The goby does his typical sitting in front of the cave to guard, but I've just started noticing him "hop." At first, he was hopping in place. Later, he swam to the other end of the tank and proceeded to hop backwards in the exact same path to the cave entrance.

Has anyone ever exhibited this behavior? I'm not concerned, just fascinated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have an orange spotted goby with a pistol shrimp in a 10 gallon tank, and I finally moved the tank within eyesight of my couch.
The goby does his typical sitting in front of the cave to guard, but I've just started noticing him "hop." At first, he was hopping in place. Later, he swam to the other end of the tank and proceeded to hop backwards in the exact same path to the cave entrance.

Has anyone ever exhibited this behavior? I'm not concerned, just fascinated.

It sounds normal, had Stiphodon gobies that would hop across the sand substrate lol was very amusing to me. Btw welcome to MFK :)

scherbert

Feeder Fish
Mar 24, 2016
It sounds normal, had Stiphodon gobies that would hop across the sand substrate lol was very amusing to me. Btw welcome to MFK :)
Ah, very interesting. It is quite amusing. And thank you!

Maybe this is better put on a different thread, but would it be feasible for another another pair in that tank? There are several unused hiding places in the tank, and I've heard that it's not uncommon for multiple pairs to coexist in a community together. (Everything would be the same species, unless it's smarter to do different species which I doubt.)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ah, very interesting. It is quite amusing. And thank you!

Maybe this is better put on a different thread, but would it be feasible for another another pair in that tank? There are several unused hiding places in the tank, and I've heard that it's not uncommon for multiple pairs to coexist in a community together. (Everything would be the same species, unless it's smarter to do different species which I doubt.)

Tbh don't have any experience keeping any saltwater gobies, but once had a small group of bumblebee gobies. Type in orange spotted goby in the search bar and see if there are other members who have them. The forum for saltwater may have some info as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store