Ornate and ropefish?

Thebigmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2019
Hey everyone,

Was just looking to see if anyone had some insight on keeping Ropefish with Ornate Bichirs. I've got an 8" and a 9.5" ornate bichir, along with a 6" Racheal catfish in a heavily planted120g (5'x2'x18") tank. I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 ropefish in (my local fish store has a couple around 10" long) and wasn't sure if the ornates would get along well with them or not. If anyone has any advice on keeping the two together, that would be fantastic.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone,

Was just looking to see if anyone had some insight on keeping Ropefish with Ornate Bichirs. I've got an 8" and a 9.5" ornate bichir, along with a 6" Racheal catfish in a heavily planted120g (5'x2'x18") tank. I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 ropefish in (my local fish store has a couple around 10" long) and wasn't sure if the ornates would get along well with them or not. If anyone has any advice on keeping the two together, that would be fantastic.
Ornate Bichir are one of the largest growing lower jaw specie. I personally had one that was over 17" and was aggressive. Tbh I personally would pass on the Ropefish.

Thebigmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2019
Ornate Bichir are one of the largest growing lower jaw specie. I personally had one that was over 17" and was aggressive. Tbh I personally would pass on the Ropefish.
That's kind of what I was thinking. It is one of the main reasons I set up this 120g tank for them. As soon as they started putting on some size, they had no problems going for some of my clown loaches in my 210g. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on keeping Bichir and ropefish together and was just looking to get some advice on it before I sentence a fish to its death by accident.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That's kind of what I was thinking. It is one of the main reasons I set up this 120g tank for them. As soon as they started putting on some size, they had no problems going for some of my clown loaches in my 210g. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on keeping Bichir and ropefish together and was just looking to get some advice on it before I sentence a fish to its death by accident.

I put 2 Senegal Bichir in with 3 Ornate and a Endlicheri and neither were that large. I noticed the 2 juvenile Senegal Would stay at the surface near the overflow box. They eventually were eaten. Lesson learned.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Had to point out ornate is upper jaw.
tlindsey tlindsey but I knew what you meant.
Everything else you said was spot on as always.

On the ropefish with bichirs as long as you are not mixing them with super large uj or any lj you should be fine. I lost 2 of my 13 ropefish to my teugelsis another of the really large uj polys. They are gone now and my remaining 11 ropes get on fine with the mix of polys I have, dels, sens, polli, butts, Palmas and moke.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
It’s a waiting game. I currently have my monster 17” ropefish in with my other polys but he will probably get banished to the sump with the growouts to probably decimate my ghost shrimp colony soon enough. Ornate is currently 14” and the hybrid LJ we refer to as indominus now is close to the same size so he’ll need to be moved soon

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Can you post a picture of this 17 inch ropefish? I’d love to see him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store