Oscar always facing up

Sleepymas

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2019
Hi all,

I think my Oscar is just a glutton but I notice it almost always faces up. It is around a 45 degree angle watching the surface. My only concern was if maybe it has a swim bladder issue but I have seen it swim just fine many times. I know Oscars can be funny so wondering if any one else notices this with theirs?

Picture of the angle it swims and a tank shot showing more flat is possible.

20200225_084738.jpg

20200224_192215.jpg

20200222_192441.jpg

20200219_193513.jpg

20200219_193450.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all,

I think my Oscar is just a glutton but I notice it almost always faces up. It is around a 45 degree angle watching the surface. My only concern was if maybe it has a swim bladder issue but I have seen it swim just fine many times. I know Oscars can be funny so wondering if any one else notices this with theirs?

Picture of the angle it swims and a tank shot showing more flat is possible.

View attachment 1406786

View attachment 1406787

View attachment 1406788

View attachment 1406789

View attachment 1406790
Looking at the third pic the Oscar seems fine. Possibly can see you and expect that you will be putting food in lol.

Reactions: dr exum and kno4te

Sleepymas

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2019
Thanks that is what I was thinking. The tank is next to my desk where I sit all day working so maybe it just thinks I am always going to feed it lol. I heard they can really beg and he looks to do it with the best of em. I look over and he sees me looking, head up directed movement toward the top of the tank where food goes in. Gets lots of exercise waiting for me to feed but I don't I just enjoy the show from my desk and feed on a schedule.

Reactions: tlindsey

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nice tank and family pics ?. they like to look at the bubbles on the surface they may be edible , anything at any time may be food. he looks like a nice healthy Oscar to me.

Reactions: tlindsey

Sleepymas

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2019
Thanks, everyone! I was unsure about getting an Oscar and now I can't imagine not having one. I was excited for a green terror which I got but the Oscar is so much more fun. Truly a great pet and makes the tank much more exciting. Some days I think he grows during my work shift. I swear there is growth right in front of my eyes. I read they grow fast but did not expect this, I will be sure to always tell people only get an Oscar if you have the large tank ready because they grow FAST!!!!

Thanks for the tank comments, and the pictures of my daughter that lives 6 hours away so I really enjoy having pictures of her right next to me all-day-everyday. I can't believe just 2 months ago I put fish in this tank and now they are huge, large tank and clean water really makes for fast growth!

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Young oscar is always hungry waiting for food to drop in when people are around, so they are always oriented at 45 degree angle ready to strike. Oscar does more because it is bold and has an upturn mouth made for surface feeding. Other surface feeding cichlid, such as chocolate cichlid, does the same but earth eaters with downturn mouth face the bottom more than the surface for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store