Oscar Fish Fry

Zachk29

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
California
I haven’t been on this form in awhile but I need some advice. My Oscar pair has laid eggs and I have never raised Oscar fry before if they do end up hatching I need some advice. Would it be best to let the eggs hatch in the tank or would it be best to try to remove the eggs to a different tank? Also what can I feed Oscar fry and can I use a hang on the back filter with the fry. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I haven’t been on this form in awhile but I need some advice. My Oscar pair has laid eggs and I have never raised Oscar fry before if they do end up hatching I need some advice. Would it be best to let the eggs hatch in the tank or would it be best to try to remove the eggs to a different tank? Also what can I feed Oscar fry and can I use a hang on the back filter with the fry. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.
Welcome back!

Congrats on the Oscar eggs. I personally would leave them with the parents so they can gain some parenting experience. You can either start a Brine Shrimp Hatchery before the fry absorb their egg sac or just crush up some flake food or pellets. Also when you feed the adults the fry will learn to eat the small excess food particles coming out of the parents mouth and gills. Yes a HOB filter can be used just cover the intake with a sponge.

Reactions: Oscar Mike

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Oscar fry will also feed off of the altered slime coat of the parents. So keep them well feed.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store