Oscar health, trying so many things what else can I do?

stchamber11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Connecticut
Hello all, I apologize not posting until I have a problem! I will detail below, and thanks for everyone who reads through.

I have an Oscar, with a health issue that I am pretty much running out of ideas. Perhaps with all the knowledge here, there are other ideas. I attached photos from the past few days.

Fish: Oscar, female as my daughter researched last year. I have had since February 2017. She started in a 55 gallon, and was moved into a 125 gallon July of last year. She has been with the same fish for over a year.

Sickness: She has before, been laying around, gets some gashes or starts of HITH and has always been rectified with even more water changes or some light medication. About a month ago, HITH and marks on sides of body have shown up, and for the past month or so. She has laid for hours in the tank, but when approached, she does perk up and does eat. A week and a half ago, she seemed to be getting worse. I did 2 doses over 4 days of the API general cure. I have salted the aquarium, tea spoon for every 5 gallons. I have done water changes between as directed by API, in addition to my normal change pattern described below. I have now done the Melafix, does last night and was told by local aquarium shop to do this for over 4 days. In addition, I put up a divider to keep her separated from the other fish, except the Geophagus.

Water Changes: My normal schedule for aver a year – 20 gallons midweek, 60 gallons on weekends. All water is from city water, into 20 gallon barrel, treated with API stress coat, mixed, then pumped into tank. Old water is syphoned out, via gravel vacuuming, out my window. All water exits via vacuuming gravel. 20 Gallon midweek does not need filter shutdowns.

Filters: Cascade 1000, with ceramic for bio. Magnum HOT filter, filled with ceramic. Whisper 60 converted but do not use whisper filter media, power head with inlet made form water bottle to hold fiber, and 3 sponge for bio. Water is all moving, much surface agitation but not blowing fish around. Water current sends most degree to right side 3rd of tank, so mid-week 20 gallon change vacuums up most of debris.

Fish along with Oscar: 4 silver dollars, 1 Geophagus, 1 Pleco, 1 Spotted Red Severum, 1 Parrot, and 1 Spotted Raphal Catfish who is about 15 years old. All fish have been there since getting Oscar. Red Severum and Parrot are trying again to spawn, parrot lays eggs every 4 months and Severum tries to fertilize.

Oscar Habit – Usually swims back and forth, is not very aggressive but is not afraid of any fish and not afraid of tank maintenance. At night, she will move toward back center, under Blue LED night light and float about 2” from bottom.

Water Parameters: Amonia and Nitrites always 0 when measured weekly, API kit. Nitrates jump around between 30 and 40. Tap water nitrates are 20 or so last checked, but I am not trusting this for some reason. PH around high 7’s. Temp 80 to 82.

There are details I can remember, anything left off? I am at a loss now, as what is going on with Oscar. I was thinking, is the Pleco or Parrot making her stressed? After separating yesterday, and checking in via camera, she is back to laying on side. She did not eat yesterday, first day not actually eating. I am feeding whole tank very lightly.

Steve

20181014_180535.jpg 20181013_151633.jpg 20181013_122117.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
For starters I feel you are way overstocked for the amount of water changes. Orscars are filthy fish to begine with, then add all those others.......

I did 75% water changes ever third day, and that was just a Oscar and a catfish in a standard 6ft 125gal tank. I just drain with a python, dose Prime for entire water volume to include filters. Then fill from tap with temp matched water.

With your stocking I would do fin level every day. Fish urinate from thier gills each and every breath, with that much fish in the tank and the low water change schedule they are living in a tank of urine soup.
First off I would pick what is your favorite fish, the Oscar, or the Sev/Parrot combo. Then rehome the others. Is the pleco a common or a fancy? Commons don't do a lot of tank cleaning vs the amount of waste they add to the tank. So I would rehome it if it's a common.
So in the end I suggest either the Oscar and catfish, or Sev/Parrot and catfish. Then move your water changes to every three days of 75%.

I am not well versed on treating sick fish, I am sure someone will chime in on how to heal that HITH. Doing larger more frequent water changes will help a lot.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with what Jexnell Jexnell has stated also like to add it will continue to be a ongoing battle because you have a positive nitrate reading from your tap.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW

stchamber11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Connecticut
Thanks for replying so far. I never thought I was overstocked with 10 fish, but they all have grown. Another thing I noticed tonight, when I turn off the lights, or dim way down, she sits up and starts to move around. I was thinking of removing the 4 silver dollars and Rapheal into a new tank, that would bring down just about half.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
change your water conditioner to SeaChem safe, no need to age water, Just Dose tank and add water, and agreed do fin level or 90% water change every time you change the water. twice a week should be fine, but can get a API master fresh water test kit to monitor your nitrates and change accordingly.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
also if he only has that little space on the other side of the divider he is not going to be a happy fish, he needs the hole tank to move around in.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store