Oscar health, trying so many things what else can I do?

stchamber11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Connecticut
Steve Again...I just did a look via cam and not looking good at all. I did water change again last night, Oscar did not eat. All other fish in tank are absolutely flawless, acting like the normally do. I do see the white marks on Oscars side and HITH marks have turned more darker than being all white. When I did water change, I vacuumed her side, and she perked up, watched the siphon tube as normal, but did not come up for food. She is sitting against the furthest wall. Is it possible she sees the other fish, and one of them are stressing her out? The parrot once in a great while may go head to head with her, in the past year, but no fish have really payed Oscar much attention other than get her out of the way. Is it possible her time has come? I will continue to water change, as that is not a problem. I did test for AC voltage in the water, nothing there.

Screenshot_20181016-111044_Momentum.jpg

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Steve again, so much new info, even though I have had fish for over 15 years! Quick question on water changing via direct from faucet to tank...I will try the Seachem...as the filters would be turned off, is the treatment put in the tank before or during the fill?
Hi Steve. I use Seachem Prime (liquid form of Safe) and add it to the tank before adding new water.

Water changes go like this:
Drain tank
Clean filters
Add prime for entire tank volume
Refill
Done

If I have a 500ltr tank that gets approximately 300ltr WC weekly, when adding prime I dose for the entire 500ltrs, not just the 300ltrs changed. Does that make sense? :)

stchamber11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Connecticut
Steve Again, (hope I am not being a pain in the butt!) came home at 5:00, Miss Oscar (we have a male cat named Oscar) laying flat, a little against glass as she was all day. I was viewing every 1/2 hour via cam. Went to an old aquarium, shop, and talked with the owner who sold me my 55 tank 18 years ago. I told all the details, and asked what would he do if this was in his shop. He said Clout. It is not made anymore, but gave me pills for my 20 gallon. As I have tried everything, he said it could be just time she passes, but Clout is what he has used for many years and swears by it. Back home, I prepared my 20 gallon, removed the small fish, and had ready to put in the 125. Removed the top glass, and with my big net, got it around Mrs Oscar. As I pulled her up, she gave a massive fight, what power! She swiped out of the net, pulling it from me and falling into the tank. The splash of water covered the wall to ceiling, me, all over the floor, basically an explosion of water. Back to the bottom, but upright, looking at me kinda *****y. That's it I told her. Not as sick as you are pretending to be? Perhaps, me changing the environment with the partition was the problem. I told her, OK, forget the wall, I am putting everything back the way it was. I removed the partition, and she swam out mixing with the rest of the fish. I pulled out the partition, did a 50% water change again, and all the while she is swimming around, in her old pattern. I have decided to leave as is, and if she does not make it this way then it is all I could have done. I treated the water with Prime, put in the next dose of the Malifix, put all decorations and plants (not to many) back exactly where they were a week and a half ago. All the other fish acted the same way, basically ignoring her and she was igmoring the rest even if they bump into her. She is now sitting in the back center tank, floating about 1/4" from bottom as she usually has done for the past year, under her night light. I will continue the water changes, and test water daily etc. And I will continue to watch this EXCELLENT forum. I do not believe she is out of the woods yet, but I am doing everything possible to save her. Ok, lets see if she is hungry in the AM. Yes, I read every single word everyone is typing here! See pics!

20181016_201720.jpg 20181016_201822.jpg 20181016_202019.jpg 20181016_204429.jpg

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
The fact that you're willing to listen and learn says a lot about you as a fishkeeper. I'm sure you'll fit in here. Also, you're not being a pain in the butt, anyone who says you are is probably a pain themselves! ;)

The way you love Mrs Oscar reminds me of my love for an eartheater I once had. I hope for your sake that she pulls through. You're doing everything you can for her. Best of luck. :)

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Oscars are some drama queens. I used to joke Jexnell Jexnell about Toni that he didn't have a pet, he had a girlfriend in a box. This is because if he changed something and she didnt like it she would sulk for days or weeks at a time, refuse to eat, or even look at him.

I hope your girl gets better. She has a good boyfriend lol.

stchamber11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Connecticut
Oh Boy, checked Mrs Oscar around midnight, she was floating 1/4" from the bottom in her normal night time sleeping spot, now happy I guess from being out of jail. This morning, back to sitting on bottom and slight leaning. Did not eat. I usually tap the glass and she would rush to the top, but no more. Perhaps this is just coming to a slow end. I will continue to water change, medicate with the Parasmeld. Outside looking to be healing. Eyes looking around, breathing normal but gee, not eating and sitting alot. All the other fish are so healthy. I will also continue to leave the water at 81 - 83 degrees. I have tested water (yep, api kit) 2x a day, nitrates are about 20. I tested tap again, it is at 5. I took the tap water, treated with prime to see what would happen, and "maybe" it was a slightly lighter color. I am digesting all the information above. I am thinking about that Vitamin C comment, and putting them in the filters. I have not researched Monster yet about this, but that is a easy thing to do as we have them here in the house.

nightg.jpg morning10-17-18.jpg morn2at10-17-18.jpg

stchamber11

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Connecticut
I didn't mention it earlier but I would move the tank temp to 75.
Mmm, because of the Oxygen is lower on high temps. I do have lots of water movement, but yes, I agree. However I am supposed to also keep the temperature up to discourage any sickness. Perhaps I should lower a bit slowly over a few days.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
High temps often encourage bacterial virulence.
Yes raising temps is a help in curing ick (it hastens the protozoans life cycle, to make meds work in the vulnerable stage), but the idea that high temps work against all diseases is flawed
Bacterial diseases often become more virulent at high temps. (eg columnaris becomes most virulent and lethalat temps above 82'F)
When I worked in the lab as a microbiologist, to get pathogenic cultures to grow, plates were put in an incubator at temps in the 90sF (30'C+) to get the best growth.

Reactions: stchamber11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store