MFK Member
Feb 5, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi Everyone-

Just noticed something possibly going on with my Oscar and Bala shark in my 470 gal pond. Looks like some white discoloration around the left sensory pit on my Oscar. The right sensory pit has it a little, but not as much. He also has a bit of a ragged left fin as well. Could it be fungal? Columnaris? HITH?
The bala has what looks like a scratch wound going down his back, which was confirmed by FishLore forum. I am not sure if these two issues are related, or different causes, and wanted to post here to get some more advice.
I’m putting some links below to videos of the Oscar/bala and the entire setup.
Thanks!

Oscar and Bala
470 gal Pond setup

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi Everyone-

Just noticed something possibly going on with my Oscar and Bala shark in my 470 gal pond. Looks like some white discoloration around the left sensory pit on my Oscar. The right sensory pit has it a little, but not as much. He also has a bit of a ragged left fin as well. Could it be fungal? Columnaris? HITH?
The bala has what looks like a scratch wound going down his back, which was confirmed by FishLore forum. I am not sure if these two issues are related, or different causes, and wanted to post here to get some more advice.
I’m putting some links below to videos of the Oscar/bala and the entire setup.
Thanks!

Oscar and Bala
470 gal Pond setup
Welcome aboard
Tbh it was hard for me see the affected area.
The the ragged left could be from another tank mate. The Oscar was in defensive mode in part of the video.

JKSchnoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2023
Here are some more closeup pictures. Yeah the giant gourami gives him the business frequently.

0D4D77F0-CB63-4A00-88C9-7EC837A455C0.jpeg

F82BB505-9161-4716-9AA6-99F285965A26.jpeg

F220423B-B7E7-4A52-AD2E-4CEAB0916DB5.jpeg

EA151242-0384-43AA-AFD9-4EDE85AF3391.jpeg

6E668FC0-CFC6-46D2-B9BB-4EA64868251A.jpeg

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
I'm no more experienced than tlindsey at HITH disorders. However, I don't think tank mate injuries and HITH are necessarily mutually exclusive. The Oscar could've been scarred from the fight. However, unideal water parameters could've made the injury worsen into an ulcer or HITH or something related.

I do think that the initial problem was the tank mate biting on the Oscar's lip. The wounds are very close to the mouth which is where fish usually bite at each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store