Aug 1, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
Between 10 and 20
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
My Oscar has quit eating. He/She (Charlee) is almost 2, lives in a 75 gallon with 3 Yoyo Loaches and an Albino Chocolate Pleco, whom Charlee mostly ignores (they have been in his tank his whole life).

Almost a month ago he quit eating. I tried different kinds of food, nope, not interested (the YoYos, however, are getting fat) . Changed the water, scrubbed the glass, cleaned the filter (all of which I do on at least a weekly basis). Still not interested in food.

Charlee shows no other signs of being sick. No spots, no white stringy poop (well, no poop at all now), no bloat. Just not eating.

I have tried General Cure (didn't help) and am now treating with Hexamor (which did great when my Discus quit eating). At this point Charlee will act like he wants to eat and will grab the food, take two bites and spit it out. I'm half way through the treatment.

I don't know what else to do if this doesn't work.

I would love some suggestions and help please

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
My Oscar has quit eating. He/She (Charlee) is almost 2, lives in a 75 gallon with 3 Yoyo Loaches and an Albino Chocolate Pleco, whom Charlee mostly ignores (they have been in his tank his whole life).

Almost a month ago he quit eating. I tried different kinds of food, nope, not interested (the YoYos, however, are getting fat) . Changed the water, scrubbed the glass, cleaned the filter (all of which I do on at least a weekly basis). Still not interested in food.

Charlee shows no other signs of being sick. No spots, no white stringy poop (well, no poop at all now), no bloat. Just not eating.

I have tried General Cure (didn't help) and am now treating with Hexamor (which did great when my Discus quit eating). At this point Charlee will act like he wants to eat and will grab the food, take two bites and spit it out. I'm half way through the treatment.

I don't know what else to do if this doesn't work.

I would love some suggestions and help please
My Oscar’s been doing the same, I think they don’t like fish bigger than them so the Oscar could be scared of the loaches if they are bigger than him

Reactions: PawsAndFins

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How big is he? It’s possible he’s beginning to outgrow the tank and is getting stressed out.
Upping the water change amount may help.

PawsAndFins

Feeder Fish
Aug 1, 2021
Charlee spit out his normal food, he did eat a couple krill. It is a start!

Maybe the meds are helping?

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
does not sound safe for the loaches as the Oscar might be able to eat ‘em
im going to go out on a limb that hes stressed. you would need quite the stout filtration and a drip system to keep that kind of bio load healthy in a 75. i remember when i first started out in the hobby. i had a jaguar and oscar in a 90 gallon with an fx6. when they hit about 10" i was unable to keep the conditions favourable with weekly maintence. it went to every 2-3 days. 50% water changes. just a thought.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
im going to go out on a limb that hes stressed. you would need quite the stout filtration and a drip system to keep that kind of bio load healthy in a 75. i remember when i first started out in the hobby. i had a jaguar and oscar in a 90 gallon with an fx6. when they hit about 10" i was unable to keep the conditions favourable with weekly maintence. it went to every 2-3 days. 50% water changes. just a thought.
I agree their Oscar is most likely stressed
Mine wasn’t eating because I had my brothers dog visit and he’s a German Shepard who loves to bark 24/7

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store