Oscar suddenly passed

Phatfish269

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Hello,im a noob just got my 125 about 6 weeks ago had it chillin for a week introduced 2 oscars into it. Everything was going great intill i got home from work today,my tiger oscar had what looked like sausage links coming out of its butt. It was white in color and thick bigger than the parasite pics ive seen on google. Well sadly enough he just passed like an hour ago and i feel like my albino is about to do the same . These were almost 3" long. I wanna kno what i did wrong. Couldnt get a clear pic of it but its aweful.

20190321_115352.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello,im a noob just got my 125 about 6 weeks ago had it chillin for a week introduced 2 oscars into it. Everything was going great intill i got home from work today,my tiger oscar had what looked like sausage links coming out of its butt. It was white in color and thick bigger than the parasite pics ive seen on google. Well sadly enough he just passed like an hour ago and i feel like my albino is about to do the same . These were almost 3" long. I wanna kno what i did wrong. Couldnt get a clear pic of it but its aweful.

View attachment 1365690

Welcome aboard

What were you feeding the Oscars.

Phatfish269

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
I was feeding bloodworms hikari gold and baby shrimp. A week ago i fed em feeder guppies for the first time i fed those to them twice 3 days apart.

Phatfish269

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
That thing hanging eventually fell off not to long after is when he got really crappy lookin and passed

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Welcome! That is too bad about your oscars. Would have to agree with tlindsey. Always better to feed a staple diet of quality pellets than live fish. Oscars are omnivores and need veggies as much as protein. I am also wondering whether you had your tank cycled properly before introducing your little guys. A week isn't usually long enough too establish a tank and may have had some residual, adverse effects on your oscars. But don't give up. Everyone has bad luck, especially when starting out.

Phatfish269

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Thanks for the comments, i will be picking my feet up again and give it another go. I gotta heal for a couple weeks.

Reactions: tlindsey

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Thanks for the comments, i will be picking my feet up again and give it another go. I gotta heal for a couple weeks.
While you're healing, may I suggest reading all you can about the nitrogen cycle and the need to quarantine any live foods? I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and assume one of those things was what caused your oscars passing.

Keep your chin up and take the time to learn all you can. Remember, knowledge is power! :grinyes:

Phatfish269

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
While you're healing, may I suggest reading all you can about the nitrogen cycle and the need to quarantine any live foods? I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and assume one of those things was what caused your oscars passing.

Keep your chin up and take the time to learn all you can. Remember, knowledge is power! :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store