Oscar twitching

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
Twitching is a behavior oscars, and all cichlids do to assert dominance and territoriality, and also an indicator that it could be mature and ready to breed. A female with developing eggs, a male hot to trot.
Is there a certain other fish in the tank, that the action might be aimed at? or just general in a certain area?
How big is the tank? And what are the tank mates?
It doesn't do it towards anyone but it does twitch only behind a rock structure that is in there
Tank is 125 Gallons 72"W 18 1/2"D 23" H
tankmates are 2 bichirs 1 tire track eel 1 paratilapia polleni 1 frontosa 3 blood parrots 1 convict
all are under 5 inches except one bichir (endlichiri) and eel which are both 10 inches

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Could be its personal territory, and serves as a warning for other fish to stay away , when its there.
Cichlids have quite the number of complex behaviors.
I suggest the book "The Cichlid Fishes: Natures Grand Experiment in Evolution" by George Barlow.
Its one of the best reads out there, for anyone keeping cichlids.
Lots of behavioral explanations from scientific studies but "not" dry scientific lingo, on everthing from twitching, to tail beating, to vocal communications with other cichlids.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Cfremont23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
Could be its personal territory, and serves as a warning for other fish to stay away , when its there.
Cichlids have quite the number of complex behaviors.
I suggest the book "The Cichlid Fishes: Natures Grand Experiment in Evolution" by George Barlow.
Its one of the best reads out there, for anyone keeping cichlids.
Lots of behavioral explanations from scientific studies but "not" dry scientific lingo, on everthing from twitching, to tail beating, to vocal communications with other cichlids.
OK I'll try to find it Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store