Oscars with two ocellatus?

timmo666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2008
Australia
are red tiger oscars any different to oscars that have the same markings but two O shapes "ocellatus" on their tail.

there's one in my lfs, and its the only one that has two O's on its tail. thought it was odd. i'll take a pic next time i go there and get an opinion from you guys. as i don't want a different oscar to my red tiger.

can red tigers have two ocellatus? this fish looks like one but just has two O's

Weird... might just be me being too scrupulous.

all oscars have different markings but the ocellatus is supposed to be distinctive and singular i think...:screwy:

timmo666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2008
Australia
heres the pic, it may just be unique markings.

Also do some or all oscars colors seem to be more prominent on the scales?

what i mean is, do the scales become more defined and show more through the color as they get older/bigger

timmo666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2008
Australia
yeah, thats what i thought lol.

thanks for your opinion. just wanted some concrete on whether i was over analysing or not.

if heaps are like that and its normal i might pick up the little guy on tuesday!

Steve p

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2007
Bristol UK
timmo666;1457654; said:
yeah, thats what i thought lol.

thanks for your opinion. just wanted some concrete on whether i was over analysing or not.

if heaps are like that and its normal i might pick up the little guy on tuesday!
Go for it, If you wanted an identical fish to your existing O just pop a mirror next to the tank and hey presto.

Burtess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
Ontario, Canada
In the book "Oscars" by Neal Pronek, there are pics of O's with multiple ocelli.
It states "Oscars bred in captivity generally seem to have only one ocellus, which is most often centrally situated at the base of the tail. Contrast this to the ocelli on the wild-caught oscar shown below. Photos by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod."
It shows a couple wild-caught oscars with five or six ocelli, that run up from their tail and up along the base of their dorsal fins.

Burt:)

Buttercup_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
Hertfordshire, UK
I'd never even noticed till read this that one of mine has a double O. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store