Our little stingray family... Motoro and hybrids

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
As promised, I will post 2 threads... The beginning of the 'family' and a separate one for the BD pups ...

I say 'our' being my son and myself... We all live on same property and both passionate about rays so we share the hobby... although all the hard work... the credit goes to him...

As I have mentioned before until 2014, rays were blacklisted in SA.... the minute the ban was lifted we moved heaven and earth to get some so.... we are very much new at ray keeping..... done tons of reading on MFK and where ever else we could.... so far I think we have been pretty successful in keeping the kids happy...

It has been and still is very hard to obtain good quality rays so we cant even compare ourselves to anyone

The very first rays that came in were motoros so we got Rose, a female.
Shortly after, a lovely hybrid male came in which we grabbed and..we call him Ray.
My son has posted pictures of Ray on MFK before
Ray and Rose are about 4 years old now and in October/November blessed us with 2 pups male and female which we believe are the first ray pups ever born in SA
The female looked like mom, typical motoro
The male took the dads hybrid side and we cant figure out what all blood is in him but we think he is lovely and his pattern changes all time

This is Ray and Rose....

041 ray.JPG 010 ray swim.JPG 046 (2) rose.JPG

A year later we got another female 'looks' motoro but not the typical motoro colours and has not grown at the typical rate to the size a motoro grows
We then got another motoro female

Since then only basic motoros were being brought in until we managed to get 3 black diamond pups in December which i will post separately

Last week a batch of pups came in with some hybrids mixed in so of course we could not resist and got another two pups.....

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
They all look very beautiful, thanks for sharing! Would love to keep rays one day.

Reactions: MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Absolutely beautiful Rays! What country do you live?
Yes.... we live in South Africa .. not easy to get rays..
Rays only came off blacklist early 2014

To the best of my knowledge Ray and Rose were the first two rays that landed in SA
After them, a few motoros came in ocasionaly but sadly many of them died in the beginning at the LFS as they could not get the pups to eat until my son made them go buy earthworms to feed the pups and then it got better

There are now 2 LFS;s that have taken an interest and started helping us source different species and thats how we got the black diamonds in December which to the best of our knowledge are the only ones in the Country and the hybrids recently.

Prices of motoros are now reasonable but anything else the prices are still very, very high...

We have been promised that there is a pair of either henlei's or P14 coming next week so we keeping fingers crossed

Would love a nice boesmani....

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I believe Maria lives in South Africa. Not an easy place to obtain such high quality rays!
We running 2 tanks that are 3.5m x 1.5 x 85 each with the bigger rays

A 2.5m x 80 x80 for grow outs and the little babies that came now their tank is 1.5m x 1.5m

There is a 4.5m x 1.5m x 80 on order as has to be custom built

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store