Outdoor Aviary

FishGuy97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2021
I am building an outdoor aviary in the spring and I am wondering what type of birds I should get for it. I would like inexpensive beginner birds and they have to be able to withstand below zero because in winter it drops that much. I am also taking methods on heating in winter too

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I am building an outdoor aviary in the spring and I am wondering what type of birds I should get for it. I would like inexpensive beginner birds and they have to be able to withstand below zero because in winter it drops that much. I am also taking methods on heating in winter too
Look into birds native to your area.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
rescue (you could try and get in touch with a local rescue and see if you could harbor a native that can not get back into the wild. However, they will probably not be beginners)
How big is the aviary?

FishGuy97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2021
9ft wide by 10ft long by 6ft tall. I saw American Goldfinch, I don't know if that is beginner or not though.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Where are you located F FishGuy97 ? In the U.S. it is illegal to keep protected migratory birds including songbirds in captivity according to the Migratory bird treaty act.

I don't know of any typical pet birds that can be kept outdoors in cold climates without a serious investment in heating an outdoor aviary completely.

FishGuy97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2021
Well, temps in winter here get between 10 and 46 so it is relatively cold. I read that birds should be fine till it reached far below zero

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store