Outdoor pond with rescuse fish, summer heat.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I realized in my last video about the Dubai LFS, I totally forgot to include one store - Dubai Garden Centre. They have a small aquatic section, very standard and not really worth making a video about - but they also have an outdoor pond where they take fish and terrapins that people can no longer care for.

What surprises me is the temperatures these guys can survive in. I have seen a lot of these fish here for years now, so I don't think they are dying.
The pond itself is quite shallow, and does get some direct sun. The water is very warm too, like bath water to the touch. I didn't get to take the temps of the water, but outside it was 43 Degrees Celsius. I can only imagine the water must have been around 33 - 34C or warmer. The ocean temps here usually get to around that in summer, and the lakes I measured in Al Qudra a few weeks back when it wasn't as hot were at 31.5 C.

It really surprises me how hardy and resilient some fish actually are.
Some fish included in pond are a lot of pangasius, tilapia, saw some green terrors, giant gourami, other cichlids, Oscars, Koi and plecos.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
gj rescuing those pangasius. I have always found them very sad. A lot of shops sell them here.

:thumbsup:

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Yeah I always feel sorry for them. A few of these guys on closer inspection you can see come from small tanks. Head and eyes a little damaged. This pond is better than a tank, but I feel even this is small and not really ideal. Sad how the pangasius species are so widely sold almost everywhere.
One of the stores I was videoing at last week wanted to give some paroon sharks to me for free that customers had bought in as they got to big and didn't know what to do with them. I didn't take them, but suggested the best thing for it would probably be some clove oil, followed by a little lemon juice, garlic and a light grill for the staff.

• Haha
Reactions: neko1 and Matteus

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
is it good food for your fish? it has a lot of fat.
They sell it as human food :) that's why we buy it here. Also called "white fish".
I used to feed it to my fish a while ago. Polys and Oscars a couple times a week. They used to enjoy it.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
They sell it as human food :) that's why we buy it here. Also called "white fish".
I used to feed it to my fish a while ago. Polys and Oscars a couple times a week. They used to enjoy it.
human food might not be the best reason to feed it to fish.... it has way more fat then tilapia or most whitefish. So im not really sure if its good fishfood.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
human food might not be the best reason to feed it to fish.... it has way more fat then tilapia or most whitefish. So im not really sure if its good fishfood.
Haha I dont think you understand me. I eat the food (pangasius). The various peoples who shop at these supermarkets eat this pangasius fish as their food with rice for example.
This is what I meant by "human food". It is not fed to fish now.

Reactions: neko1

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
"Nutrition Information
Pangasius species have a low to moderate fat content with high levels of protein. The amount and composition of the fat content will be influenced by the feed used in aquaculture operations. A nutrition label for a four ounce raw portion of Pangasius is provided. The actual nutrient content of products that are consumed will be affected by added ingredients and the cooking method that is used"

References
National Marine Fisheries Service, 2011. Fisheries of the United States 2010

USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store