Over Populating?

Haylee

Feeder Fish
Jun 3, 2018
Right now, I have a fully grown Tiger Oscar, 2 small Pleco, and 3 SilverDollars in my 75 gallon tank. My Oscar does not normally show a lot of aggression, and they all seem to genuinely get along.
I want to add at least one young JackDempsey to the tank, but I’m not sure if that will make the tank too populated. Any suggestions/comments would be very helpful.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
You don't need our approval and I get it. You want another cool fish, but that's why a lot of people have multiple tanks. We're just trying to help you not make the same mistakes a lot of others have made.

Your O is way small for 2yrs which is a good indicator something's up with water quality. The adult size of the fish you have will be a constant wc fight to maintain water quality. How do I know? Because I've had the fish your asking about

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with PYRU, its not just about how much space a fish has to turn around, or move a few inches, but because freshwater fish are constantly urinating thru their gills, "unless" you are changing 50% of the water everyday, that oscar is producing and living in urine soup. The smaller the tank, the more concentrated the soup.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yeah, not to beat a dead horse here, but your tank is debatably too small for the fish you have right now. I certainly wouldn't add more. I would also start testing your water if you don't already, and makre sure nitrates are 20ppm or less. If not, start doing more water changes. Fish living in high-nitrate water long term usually are susceptible to illness and contract conditions such as hole-in-the head. Not positive you have high nitrates, but the Oscar's relatively small size for age is a good indication.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store