Overfeading birchir?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I recently purchased a small tiger dat to keep with my palmas. I've been feeding the birchir beefheart, prawns, shrimp pellets and bloodworms, he's a real pig and eats until his stomach bulges. Usually I'd wait a day or two until he's back to normal size before feeding again, but I'm having trouble getting the dat to eat and the birchir is making the most of all the extra food. I'm having a hard time trying to balance things, getting enough food to the dat without over-feading the birchir. Is it going to cause any problems by not letting his stomach 'deflate'??
Thanks

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
The only fish specie I've ever heard of eating to death is redtailed catfish. If a bichir actually did it, it would definitely be a first I think.

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Once my endy swollowed a rather big catfish which suppose to be it's tankmate and ended up having a bloated tummy for 2 full days.:D

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
keep feeding a plump him up

dragonscale

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
I also have bichirs. I think you should go slow with the beefheart as it's not as easy to digest as the other types of food that you have. I do have a friend who pumped up his endlicheris with beefheart. They're around 16" in length now, and about 2.5" thick in diameter. You might also need good filtration as beefheart is on the messy side and can make your water smell.

bsplenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Don't worry about that. Give the Dat some time to get used to the new environement. Once it settles in, it should eat much faster than the birchir.

And it is ok to overfeed the birchir IMO. Just have a filtration system to cope with the extra waste. They get lazy to hunt once they get bloated.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
WHEN U FEED YOUR FISH UGH CAPs

i use a bbq stick and make sure all my fish eat
try it, if you can get the food to stay on the stick(shrimp krill maybe beefheart etc)

armed2teeth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2005
Do you have access to live feeders? If you do Im sure the dat will get his share before the palmas does. Also the dat should be able to get floating pelets before the bichir does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store