Overflow down pipe?

rastaangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
So I’m having a issue with a lot of large turds collecting in my tank since my fish are getting bigger. I’m currently running a dual overflow, one is above water as a emergency the other I have a gate valve inline to adjust water so it matches the pump so stop the overflow from sucking air.
My question is could I take my main overflow and put a down pipe on it that stops 1/2” above the bottom of the tank and drill a bunch of syphon break holes in the top of it so when the water level drops it breaks the syphon to stop the flow? I know creating a syphon and adjusting is usually a bad idea but there is still the emergence overflow if it were to get blocked.
Added a pic to show what I mean, pencil is current marker is my idea

BC84DC7A-1F5E-4195-8370-356D955A34CF.jpeg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I wouldnt. Just aim flow where it accumulates or syphon it out. Syphon it out is the best option. Couple times a week. Better out then in even if in is in your filtration.

Reactions: Matteus

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
What twentyleagues twentyleagues is saying is spot on. Better syphon the crap out periodically and then it's out of your system altogether.

Though if you decide against that you could do something along the lines that i've done on my 360g fibreglass tank. Initially it was surface skimming but I soon changed it round so that water gets sucked up from the bottom now along with all the crud.

I got a 6"x 6" PVC box section from work. I messed around with it and cut it so that I could slot it over my overflow. Then I drilled holes in the bottom so crud would get sucked up via the holes.

You'll get the gist of it from the photos I took during a water change. I have a powerful powerhead at the other end of the tank which blows all the crud to this side of the tank. My tank is always spotless now. I just keep on top of my filter floss so that the crud isn't in my system too long. I have since changed the one in the picture over to a black one as the white stick out like a sore thumb.

20190715_174303.jpg

20190715_174254.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store