Overstocked or no?

Evankeirce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Virginia
Nine goldfish in a 55 gallon tank, what sort of filtration and water change schedule could make this work? This is my friend’s beginner tank he just set up and I am a bit concerned. Right now he has two hang on filters and that’s it.90ECDB6A-DB9E-46A6-9C50-61455787E71E.jpeg

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
The tank looks cloudy like a bacterial blooms going on. How new is just set up? The tanks probably still cycling. Test the water parameters with a liquid test kit and post them up.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
Yes over stocked and like stated by TheWolfman TheWolfman looks cloudy and not cycled. Tell your friend to order the API Liquid test like dr exum dr exum suggested. Also the LFS can test the water parameters for free or charge a small fee.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
You’ve got about 7 fish in this tank that make it over stocked...single tail goldfish require 30g of water for the first fish and about 12g for each additional.
You could maybe keep 3 but it’s better to under stock goldfish than over stock.

Evankeirce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Virginia
The tank looks cloudy like a bacterial blooms going on. How new is just set up? The tanks probably still cycling. Test the water parameters with a liquid test kit and post them up.
Set up 24 hours before the pic was taken, are liquid test kits better than the strips?

Reactions: tlindsey

Evankeirce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Virginia
You’ve got about 7 fish in this tank that make it over stocked...single tail goldfish require 30g of water for the first fish and about 12g for each additional.
You could maybe keep 3 but it’s better to under stock goldfish than over stock.
I might rehome one in my tank, need a place to take the others to, maybe post on facebook marketplace

Reactions: Niki_up

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Start with 75% water changes every day... don't wait for a test kit. After a couple months he can probably change that to every other day. There really isn't any way to filter an overstocked tank to safety the best you can do is remove the water with the nitrogen compounds and replace it with fresh water.

Who sold that setup to your friend?

Yes, the liquid test kits are considerably more acurate than the test strips. I consider the test strips pretty much useless.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store