Overstocking a tank

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Actually I do priotize the tank over the fish... I wouldn't be here if I didn't. The tank comes in a month so I am gathering all the information needed BEFORE it has arrived. And money is no issue whatsoever I'm a 15yo kid with a weekend job who's parents strongly believe in independence but I know they will lend me a couple hundred dollars for absolutely necessary filtration. I'm just here looking for professional advice.
If youre prioritizing the set up before the fish I would set up your full tank with everything the fish will need now before you buy your fish. That is professional advice. Look at it this way, a clean tank will give you more vibrant and active fish as well as less health problems which are very expensive to maintain in a large tank down the road.

Reactions: Matteus

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Ok I'll be sure to make everything the best I can before adding any fish. Thank you for your time and the help.
Awesome! Im glad youre willing to give your fish as good a life as possible. When I as 15 I was a member on this site as well under a different name. I was lucky enough to have a mom that loved me a lot and invested in the hobbys that meant a lot to me, such as fish keeping. Because of that I had a 225g that [while it was professionally set up and filtered] was immensely overstocked with incompatible fish because I was the king of impulse buys, literally dubbed that by a few other members at the time. Often times I would ask advice and when I didnt like the answer I would just ignore members who obviously were decades ahead of me in aquatics; even to the point of keeping an arapaima in a 75g aquarium. Now, at 24, I look back at that time and kick myself constantly for how I disregarded all those living creatures. Im glad you're more mature than I was at that time, my fiancé always says you tell almost everything you need to know about a person by how they treat their pets. ?

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Or you can buy sump with overflow boxes.... still gonna be $400ish....
He stated he cant run a sump, he needs cannister filters

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Yea without all the questions I've asked on here I would have had an immensely overstocked tank as well but luckily thanks to you and others on here the fish will live the best life I can give them. And also I don't know how long you guys have been together obviously lol, but congrats on a fiance.

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Ok I'll just have both because I will just be using a standard air pump with the bubbler wire attached for each of the Aquatop 250 filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store