Overwintering in basement?

astronatus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
Kansas
We are planning to dig an outdoor pond next spring (kansas), and one of the residents will be my currently 7 inch pacu.

I was wondering about overwintering him. I believe the goldfish and native fishes would probably be ok without heating (it rarely ices over here at all), but I know the pacu wouldnt make it.

Has anyone ever set up a tank in their basement? I was thinking about bringing all the fish in next fall and using the same pond filter inside the house for those several months. Would that work? Any problems I should consider first?

Also, what makes a good indoor tank? I was thinking a stainless steel horse trough or maybe a plastic one, 300 to 500 gallons or so. Any thoughts?

Thanks, James :headbang2

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
rubbermaid makes a stock trough 300g for 200 bucks

DucatiRave21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2005
Tarrs, PA
^hahah

i went to my local farming outlet or whatever you want to call it, Tractor Supply Plus. i got two $300gal ones on sale for around $100 each. there are different kinds for different prices so best to go look and see wha fits you best. but yes a horse trough would be best. that or make a ply-wood tank!!!

TONY60

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2005
Kentucky
Listen to GUPPY!!!! The plastic cattle troths are great. A bull can't hurt them. That's how we overwinter fish. The fact is, the fish will grow more if wintered inside. They don't eat much outside when it gets cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store