Pacu = eye-eaters?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Hi.
Put 8x small (~3") albino iridescent shark & 8x tiny albino pacu into client 's planted pond ~8weeks ago.
5~7 pacu still there, the smallest maybe a little bigger than a US silver-dollar, and the rest nearly as big as my palm.
The sharks have barely grown and there are only 4 remaining, only one of which has more than one eye. Is it the pacu?
Other stock/suspects include goldfish & koi, angels, guppies and blue & purple african cichlids that I'd have to look up... blue Labs, maybe? I'm to re-add yellow labs after Xmas, is why I remember.

He's had normal colour small/grow-out ir.shark previously without issue. Only new variables are the albinism & the pacu.
If it is the pacu, then we'll be maybe unwise to move them into the main pond(s) with the big/mature sharks, oscars, koi etc... Thoughts?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Pacu can be aggressive, but all of them losing eyes.... Thats a bit strange, what are those blue and purple African cichlids

Reactions: tlindsey

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
what are those blue and purple African cichlids
Oh, please don't make me look them up from scratch... common, inexpensive species, the blue has dark horizontal bars & and the purple has vertical. Same general body plan as yellow lab, but a little longer with bigger mouth & lips.

It does seem like somebody was hunting eyeballs. The 50% mortality/loss may or may not be related... I assume it is/was.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store