Painting plastics

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I have some large plastic decorations that I would like to paint a different color. Can I use spray paint?
If not what do I use?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No need to sand. Believe a a soak and scrubbing should be fine.

Reactions: Hank82

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
They don't sell Fusion here anymore. Too toxic.
I've used ordinary Krylon, but go very light on the first coat.
It will stick but doesn't bond as well with PVC.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Krylon Fusion, best plastic paint that I have used in aquariums. Just follow directions, and allow a 7 day cure time.

Reactions: kno4te

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
BTW, I didn't mean that fusion is toxic to fish. Once cured it is not toxic.

I never waited 7 whole days to cure: 3 at most, but here we have the desert sun and low humidity to bake things out quickly.

I remember trying to paint in the shop in Minnesota in the winter. OMG, we'd heat the shop, the car, and the paint.

It still took forever to cure.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Manufacturer states 7 days, I always followed that recommendation. I believe it makes the paint harder, more chip resistant, with the teeth on some of my larger fish I thought that was a good idea. lol I have a friend that painted some PVC, and had it in his tank a couple hrs later.

Reactions: deeda

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Hmmm, after failing to find Fusion at the local stores for over a year, I see that it is being offered here again, online.
Maybe the formula has changed, or maybe the EPA rules were changed to allow this.
A lot of EPA regs were changed by the current govt.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Manufacturer states 7 days, I always followed that recommendation. I believe it makes the paint harder, more chip resistant, with the teeth on some of my larger fish I thought that was a good idea. lol I have a friend that painted some PVC, and had it in his tank a couple hrs later.
I went from painted PVC to either clear ABS or black ABS, because I don't like to paint. I don't really like painted things in a tank. My kids and grandkids give me painted ornaments as presents, and they usually lost lots of paint after a year or less in water.

I never put painted things in a QT or with sensitive fish, though I've never kept really delicate fish myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store