Pair idea with bolivian rams in a 4x20x20

sajica

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Here
Hi All,
Looking for some ideas for small central or south american species which could be housed in a 48x20x20 tank with a group of 4 bolivian rams that look to be 3m 1f (eggs once) some columbian tetras and serpae tetras.

Keen for some ideas on something that could spawn and care for fry in this setup without stressing or killing everything. Tank is setup with plenty of wood and rock hardscape and some plants. Also doesn’t need to be region specific either.

Was thinking maybe Sajica which I havent kept for years or maybe some blue acaras?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi All,
Looking for some ideas for small central or south american species which could be housed in a 48x20x20 tank with a group of 4 bolivian rams that look to be 3m 1f (eggs once) some columbian tetras and serpae tetras.

Keen for some ideas on something that could spawn and care for fry in this setup without stressing or killing everything. Tank is setup with plenty of wood and rock hardscape and some plants. Also doesn’t need to be region specific either.

Was thinking maybe Sajica which I havent kept for years or maybe some blue acaras?

Personally wouldn't add anymore Cichlids.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Tom, I wouldn't add any more cichlids, maybe hatchetfish or some other geographically correct tetras, or pencil fish, maybe corys.
Sajica's gets way too big, so would stress out (and maybe destroy) the Rams, and the sajica are hard water Central American species.
Even Acaras could be a bit overwhelming.

My male sajica, hit about 6" long and almost as tall, and at that size wouldn't tolerate any other cichlids except his female, in a much larger tank than you suggest.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
So a size comparison heres my blue acara pair. As Duanes stated they can be pretty rowdy. Mine keep a group of female convicts in check.20190714_112309.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Tank size is inches right? If so could maybe even get another male along with a few females.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Possibly electric blue acara, they seem more chilled than the natural strain.
I like the angelfish idea best though, that would be my choice if it was my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store