Paracheirodon axelodi AKA "Cardinal Tetra" breeding

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
PS: re. "... fat & happy...":
They're all, like, properly rotund & I'm not seeming much difference between the roundest and the slimmest. There's no (realistic) way I've got 13 female animals, is there? Did some cheeky breeder estrogen-soak their boiled-egg-yolk starter?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
There are lots of different ways to successfully spawn and raise tetras. I personally find having a clean spawning tank better so I can control and see what's happening but I like to raise high numbers.

If you don't care about numbers, go the opposite way and fill the tank with leaf litter, hidey holes and organic matter. You still have to trigger the spawning.

If your lazy, consider moving the parents out into a different tank/bucket/tub every 3 days to let the eggs & fry hatch without predation.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Thanks FD, & your "higher numbers" theme sounds like a better place to start my learning process:
i) I've a long & skinny acrylic "raceway" that's to recently been housing errant crickets & geckos - will need a clean & little epoxy, methinks...
ii) fill (to 6") with almond-leaf'd rainwater with a little background "life" + handful of filamentous plant for comfort/refugia,
iii) add 5 parents & fingers-crossed for a gender mix.

I'm out of available Cobalt inlines just now, but new/fresh water at 5~6" deep over a 36" raceway I'm not imagining O2 will be an issue.
I'll set the raceway in such a way I can see through the bottom to inspect results. Will keep you posted but I've done my back... may take a couple of weeks :)

Q: How long until I either see eggs or abandon trial & return 5 to main?

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store