Paralyzed Blue Acara

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
My acara is only able to swim with his pectoral fins. It seems like his tail is paralyzed. He was perfectly fine this morning and all other fish are fine. Water is 0.0.10 and he is tank king so I know he didnt get beat on.

Im thinking he broke his back chasing another fish and hit something.

What is going on?

Reactions: Bbuckley

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My acara is only able to swim with his pectoral fins. It seems like his tail is paralyzed. He was perfectly fine this morning and all other fish are fine. Water is 0.0.10 and he is tank king so I know he didnt get beat on.

Im thinking he broke his back chasing another fish and hit something.

What is going on?

I think your analysis is correct but hope it didn't injure its spine. Give a couple of days and hopefully the Blue Acara recovers.

Reactions: Bbuckley

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to tell but check ur water. Poor water quality can cause fins to be calmped or not work right. Sometimes a change is pH can stress a fish out and cause problems like this.

It’s suggested that columanris can affect the body of fins and fish and have a similar presentation. Sometimes a wound is assoc with it.

My suggestion would be to move the fish into a qt tank and add salt at 1tsp per gallon and treat with kanamycin/furan2. This may or may not help. Try to figure it out. More toward a spinal injury.

If it’s a spine injury then it won’t make a difference.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Update almost a year later.

This fish is still alive but hasn't grown any since the injury. It is shaped like an S if viewed from the top. Colors are good and it eats well. Has its spot in the tank under the filter intake and only comes out when food is given. It shares a 75g with a festivum and ebjd.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Update almost a year later.

This fish is still alive but hasn't grown any since the injury. It is shaped like an S if viewed from the top. Colors are good and it eats well. Has its spot in the tank under the filter intake and only comes out when food is given. It shares a 75g with a festivum and ebjd.
Good to hear the Blue Acara is living.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store