Parasites and treatment, African brown knife

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Knife-Wielders,
I brought this little African brown knife home about a year ago. It came with a very "full" belly, which it's still got, and yet it's not grown much in that time.

Gut parasites? If so, how to treat?

He's timid but eats his pellets in an erring towards black-water tank with plenty of "wildlife"- annelids, snails, amphipods & guppies various, all of which he also gobbles-up. He may just be stuffed-full, too... but if so I'd expect a little more growth, even if they're notoriously slow.

Thanks, Andrew

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They are not known for being fast growers. My remaining knife has barely grown in the 3 years I have had him. How big is your fish now?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Agree with hendre. Don’t see many beyond 6inches and are extremely slow growing.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Probably ~4", Hendre. Nearly no growth in the year, though fair enough.
Belly's properly full even when he's hungry enough to take kibble at the surface... which is what suggests a possible issue.

How contagious are gut-parasites? How species-specific? To move him to the 'hudrid, should I treat first just-in-case? If so, how to treat?
Sorry, there's no way he's posing for a picture.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If it eats pellets New Life Spectrum Hexshield would be a good one to start with, followed by praziquental.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I feel your pain. Insanely difficult to photograph. Is the belly completely sunken? It is extremely obvious when these knives are starving

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Doubtful of IP's in that case then.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
That's good news- so he's just getting a whole lot of "natural" food & not growing, which is normal.

"Fat" tummies in street-rescue puppies & kittens (for example) tends to mean the gut's loaded with worms. I thought it might be the same in knife-fish, and am happy to hear otherwise.
Best,

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store