Parasites from Florida fish? Always Quarantine?

excaliber

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2019
SW Idaho
I'm new to this so I thought I'd ask here. I'm looking to order some fish from a place in Florida. Have any of you brought fish in from Florida and had to deal with parasites? One of the LFS said to be on the lookout for some kind of worm (hookworm?) from Florida fish and it could be hard to get rid of.
I'm not sure if they were just saying that but they seemed pretty straight forward about it.

Do you quarantine all your fish? What if these new arrivals are the first fish in a brank new tank?
Do you still quarantine them before they go in the new tank?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
In general you should quarantine ur fish for how long 1-2 months.

But unless ur fish is coming from a pond it’s hard to interpret what wa said.

I live in Florida and have a lot of fish farms around me. Even got seagrest and imperial tropics 30min from my home. Most keep their fish in vats/tubs/ponds and the fish are well looked after.

What are u getting or ordering?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'm looking for some Electric Blue Acara and Red Head Tapajos
Those are readily captive bred here in Florida. I would make sure ur ordering from a reputable source. A lot of fish shops get there cb fish from fl. Whom are u ordering from?

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I've learned that Quarantine time is critical. Even if the fish looks and acts healthy, the stress of moving from place to place can lower their immune system and parasites can take hold. Better safe than sorry. I just lost two really good looking Green Terrors from my LFS cause I got impatient.

Reactions: celebrist

excaliber

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2019
SW Idaho
Those are readily captive bred here in Florida. I would make sure ur ordering from a reputable source. A lot of fish shops get there cb fish from fl. Whom are u ordering from?
Imperial Tropicals is who I was thinking about ordering from. I've heard nothing but great things about them and they have been quick to respond.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Imperial Tropicals is who I was thinking about ordering from. I've heard nothing but great things about them and they have been quick to respond.
They have good stuff but always quarantine.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Quarantining is to protect your old fish from new pathogens and your new fish from old pathogens

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store