Paretroplus nourissati, how is it related to dambas?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
appearance wise it looks far from the dambas in its genus, is it just the one species that took a recently wild turn in evolution and is still genetically similar enough to be in the same genus?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The genus Paretroplus (at least in this period of its nomenclature status) seems to be broken down in
the polyactus group
the Damba group
the kieneri group
the damii group
and the Lamena group (which was at one time given separate genus status)
nourissati is not the only rep in the Lamena clade, there are also 3 location variants of P. tsimoly
One of the reasons the Lamena group may look quite dissimilar to the other Paretroplus, is that it is a rheophillic group of cichlids, found in fast flowing water, and even in the rapids area of rivers, and created a more streamlined body shape, to cope with the strong current.
I kept nourisatdi for a while, and found them to be quite aggressive with each other, and believe I did not provide enough current to burn that kind of energy, which may have been rerouted into conspecific aggression.
But i have also kept 4 other species of Paretroplus and found only the kieneri to be rather placid.

above my nourisati in spawning color, below maculatus spawning

below menerambo spawning

Kieneri

and young damabe, with kieneri in the background

Last edited:

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
The genus Paretroplus (at least in this period of its nomenclature status) seems to be broken down in
the polyactus group
the Damba group
the kieneri group
the damii group
and the Lamena group (which was at one time given separate genus status)
nourissati is not the only rep in the Lamena clade, there are also 3 location variants of P. tsimoly
One of the reasons the Lamena group may look quite dissimilar to the other Paretroplus, is that it is a rheophillic group of cichlids, found in fast flowing water, and even in the rapids area of rivers, and created a more streamlined body shape, to cope with the strong current.
I kept nourisatdi for a while, and found them to be quite aggressive with each other, and believe I did not provide enough current to burn that kind of energy, which may have been rerouted into conspecific aggression.
But i have also kept 4 other species of Paretroplus and found only the kieneri to be rather placid.

above my nourisati in spawning color, below maculatus spawning

below menerambo spawning

Kieneri

and young damabe, with kieneri in the background
How have your experiences been with nourisati? Been planning a big build and still not sure what direction to go but recently discovered this species and find them quite interesting. The breeding colors are gorgeous

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I started with 6, they were very aggressive and whittled the group down themselves to a pair on their own in a 150 gallon tank, killing the others.
After spawning one of the pair killed the other, and with only one left, it was given away.

i believe I didn't provide a strong enough current and this may have allowed aggression to run amok.
As grow outs they shared the tank with other Paretroplines, and a couple Geo's.

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
I started with 6, they were very aggressive and whittled the group down themselves to a pair on their own in a 150 gallon tank, killing the others.
After spawning one of the pair killed the other, and with only one left, it was given away.

i believe I didn't provide a strong enough current and this may have allowed aggression to run amok.
As grow outs they shared the tank with other Paretroplines, and a couple Geo's.

And how did you find aggression towards other species...I ask because if I go that route it would be a large community with the nourisati as the center piece...was thinking maybe some Madagascar rainbowfish as dithers...possibly polleni...or any other suggestions you may have that are colorful and should stay out of their way...if I went this route it would be strictly fish from the region. And thanks

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
If I may offer a word of caution, Paratilapia will make a quick meal of Bedotia and will also stress nourissati. I think Bedotia and Nourissati is a great combo. You should add a second or third cichlid species to keep the aggression at a manageable level. Paretroplus kieneri and Ptychochromis oligacanthus make good tank mates with Lamena.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store