parrot cichlid

mmmm What is your opinion on Parrot Cichlids? I'm even sick of typing it now :P

• Abominations!!! Wish they didn't exist.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • They're not for me, but whatever.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • They're okay, I might get one someday.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I love 'em and own them

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

ammerman19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
What are your feelings on Parrot Cichlids of any variation?

Don't know if this has been done before but I'm curious to see what the results are.

p.s. not trying to start an ethical debate about hybrids just parrot cichlids please no arguing :)

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
True parrot cichlids are gorgeous fish. Both Vene and Brazilian species. BLOOD PARROTS are abominations!!!!!!!! They would never survive outside of the aquarium, and sensless stripping and breeding should be outlawed.

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
I dont like them just because they cant close there mouths, other hybrids that dont have problems like that are fine with me. The only thing keeping me from the blood parrots is them not being able to close there mouths.

LiuHsi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Earth
I think they are the peace maker in comm tank, especially u have big or aggressive fish

Rosswake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2006
Georgia
I like mine, she grows quickly and is really fun to watch. Her colors are really bright orange, which means she is healthy, and as "natural" as she'll ever be. I don't have a problem with them at all and I'm glad I own one. --I guess its actually my wife's, but we both enjoy our little BP.

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
I love parrots, but i agree most of them are retarded as hell!!!! However, good looking, nonedyed or cut ones, especially healthy big ones are impressive. My 8" just bred with the tiny 3.5" RD for his 2nd time. I heard the mouth issue come up. Alot of the problems that people have with BLOOD parrots, are not present in the more advanced and better, king kong parrot. They can close there mouth's often easily get over a foot, and could probably hold their own in a man made pond with other conpeditive cichlids. I have a small KK. Mine has the shape of a regular parrot, but a very closeable mouth. I don't know if they take on the traditional kk shape when they get older, or i f it is just an oddball with a kk mouth, but it can evenly mach the larger red devil (unless the RD is breeding). So I find this paticular pull to vague on parrot type

toffee

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2006
Texas
Dominuslive;474620; said:
True parrot cichlids are gorgeous fish. Both Vene and Brazilian species. BLOOD PARROTS are abominations!!!!!!!! They would never survive outside of the aquarium, and sensless stripping and breeding should be outlawed.
:nilly: Think blue dempseys will?????:cool-1:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store