PART DEUX!!! - Epic Overhaul (3D Backgrounds/300g, 250g, 120g tanks)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
lovin all these threads we have going on backgrounds. cant wait to see updates. those are the luckiest festae and the first pic is the way to go
Get your butt down here Forest! I have tanks, beer and a couch, it's worth the trip! :ROFL: Trust me the updates will keep on coming. Anyone who read my first overhaul thread knows I'm a update/picture whore :grinno:

Hard call. I think I would have installed it like you have it in the second photo, but either way definitely works.
Well maybe this will help you guys decide. This is my inspirational pic (somewhere in Peru wher my festae are from). I imagine my festae pair living near a rocky waterfall for some reason, so I'm going with it. When ever I design a new tank, I ALWAYS work off of an inspirational picture to keep me on track.

two_tier_waterfall_Peru.jpg

If you look at the inspirational pic and this pic of where I am at so far, you can see what it might look like under the fall I hope. If I had the BG the other side up I don't see the same thing I image in my head, if that makes sense?

DSC_0051.JPG

And THIS is the reason for the build. This is my wild caught/F0 exCichlasoma festae 'Rio Tumbes' pair with their fry directly under them, they spawned this week. A cool fact for you, the background is not on the market yet and the owner of designs by nature (Matt, Shyro77 on MFK) let me name it. This model is now called the "Tumbes" after this pair!!!!!!!!! I'm actually really proud of that :D

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

two_tier_waterfall_Peru.jpg

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I'm curious if that is the way you are going to install the Mangrove background or if it is upside-down in the photo? I pictured it being flipped over, but it is actually cool either way.

By the way, it looks like you have some really nice workspace in the new house! :headbang2
I agree with this, roots would grow downward in nature I would think. I would flip it personally.
I'm sick of 3D backgrounds Justin. :) Nice work. I think the buffing came out as nice as it could have without taking down some major layers of the acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I agree with this, roots would grow downward in nature I would think. I would flip it personally.
I'm sick of 3D backgrounds Justin. :) Nice work. I think the buffing came out as nice as it could have without taking down some major layers of the acrylic.
Sick of backgrounds :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: you just bought 5.... Roots go down in nature but they also grow up like vines on tree's. It's all in what the person with the vision will see as the final product. In this case, I am going to cut open the bottom thick part of the background for my female Parachromis dovii to get away from her male quickly when he goes on a rampage (happens often). I need the thick part of this BG on the bottom for utilitarian reasons. Thanks bro, looking forward to getting your rack built. Drop me a call, I think we can use most of the current 250 gallon stand as lumber for your new rack and save you some cash?

I just got back a couple hours ago from buying most of the wood picked up for the stand. I hate how short the current stand is so I am building a new 36" tall stand (I like my stands tall) and bullet proof. I am using all 2"x6"s for this stand. This is overkill I know but it's what I want so I'm doing it.. I took the day off tomorrow to build the stand and will load pics tomorrow night.

DSC_0014.JPG

This is the sump I picked up for this tank. It is a filter sock, 60 gallon sump. The chamber in the middle is perfect in case the male gets too rough on the female. I can pull her out of the tank quickly and put her in the middle chamber to let her heal up quickly. The bulkheads in the side were perfect for a saltwater skimmer before but I will be using them to plumb the overflow for my drip system.

DSC_0035.JPG

This is where I am stuck/paused for the moment. I want a silent and fail proof overflow but do not have an overflow box. I need suggestions on how to plumb this part. I am thinking using a modified herbie/beananimal so that the plumbing is ran through the back of the tank (x2 1.5" ID pointed down, x1 1" ID 90 degree emergency pointed up) with a gate valve to control the flow going straight into the sock submerged. Below are pics of how the tank is drilled today. x5 holes on top, x1 hole on the side of the tank at the top. I thinking of using this as one of the returns. What do you guys think? Seriously I could use some advise on this part so fire away with what ever you guys have???

DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

LOPAKA

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
where EVERY things LEGAL :)
great start Justin !!! the buffing came out amazing.... can't wait to see a finished product, I got high expectations for this build. As far as which way to position it I'm with Dan, I like pic 2 but I see your image as well and also agree with you that you wont get the same affect as you vision if you do it that way. GL and I am staying tuned.

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
in my tanks on my sump i just use an upturned 90 as my overflow and it works like a dream. takes no space up and painted black i cant see it. very simple and effective for my setups and super easy to setup. mine are very quiet. the main noise is the water going into the sump.

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Sick of backgrounds :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: you just bought 5.... Roots go down in nature but they also grow up like vines on tree's. It's all in what the person with the vision will see as the final product. In this case, I am going to cut open the bottom thick part of the background for my female Parachromis dovii to get away from her male quickly when he goes on a rampage (happens often). I need the thick part of this BG on the bottom for utilitarian reasons. Thanks bro, looking forward to getting your rack built. Drop me a call, I think we can use most of the current 250 gallon stand as lumber for your new rack and save you some cash?

I just got back a couple hours ago from buying most of the wood picked up for the stand. I hate how short the current stand is so I am building a new 36" tall stand (I like my stands tall) and bullet proof. I am using all 2"x6"s for this stand. This is overkill I know but it's what I want so I'm doing it.. I took the day off tomorrow to build the stand and will load pics tomorrow night.

View attachment 758424

This is the sump I picked up for this tank. It is a filter sock, 60 gallon sump. The chamber in the middle is perfect in case the male gets too rough on the female. I can pull her out of the tank quickly and put her in the middle chamber to let her heal up quickly. The bulkheads in the side were perfect for a saltwater skimmer before but I will be using them to plumb the overflow for my drip system.

View attachment 758428

This is where I am stuck/paused for the moment. I want a silent and fail proof overflow but do not have an overflow box. I need suggestions on how to plumb this part. I am thinking using a modified herbie/beananimal so that the plumbing is ran through the back of the tank (x2 1.5" ID pointed down, x1 1" ID 90 degree emergency pointed up) with a gate valve to control the flow going straight into the sock submerged. Below are pics of how the tank is drilled today. x5 holes on top, x1 hole on the side of the tank at the top. I thinking of using this as one of the returns. What do you guys think? Seriously I could use some advise on this part so fire away with what ever you guys have???

View attachment 758425
View attachment 758426
View attachment 758427
I love holes on the top of the tank, and had eleven holes for 1 1/2" PVC put in the top of my big tank. But then I do have quirky ideas for mechanical filtration. I will have eight uptakes and three returns. All the pipe coming down into the tank pose a problem for a 3D background. A major player in the big tank world suggested that I drill holes in the back of the tank so all the plumbing could be hidden behind a background. I will not do that. I would rather go with the laminated black back we already have with black PVC pipes than drill the back of my tank. If we do go with a background, it will be low profile, and the eleven pipes will be turned into trees in front of the background....and it will have to be DIY

In your case, though, I bet you could use a couple of the holes for returns that would still be hidden behind your background.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Nice! Can't wait to see the first background set up!!!
I bet that was a pretty penny

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store