Patio Pond - Mom Wants One - Potential stocking and building?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Just as it says, stocking, but most importantly, building. My mom likes the look of small ponds with Plants.

Q1: Can I have patio ponds in garden pots?

Q2: small plant Ideas?

Q3: Filter?

Q4: Fish?

- Most likely not doin this, because my mom thinks we have to many pets, but maybe -

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Q1: I much prefer the 17-20 gallon play tubs. You can spray paint the outsides with something like rustoleum to get a nice terra cotta vibe.
Q2: Banana lilies? Dwarf lilies? Literally any floating plant (I love using water lettuce). Most plants can grow hydroponically (except like, succulents and cactuses). It depends on what the depth of the container is.
Q3: Plant filter. Lots and lots of plant filter.
Q4: Smaller cyprinids work quite well, but it depends on where you're located. Hawaii you could keep anything. New York you might want to keep barbs or minnows.... I've had good success with white cloud mountain minnows and platies. Didn't keep the tinwinis out long enough to see if there was any breeding behavior though.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Ok, I am located on the outskirts of San Diego, and the outside temp can drop to lower 50’s, and raise to the hundreds (once, last year). The website you provided is very informational! Seems like it’s just buying a tub, maybe a small sponge filter (I would feel more comfortable with that as well as the plants), buying some fish, and you are done! I have a few questions about stocking; I like the look of Red Floater Plants. Will I be able to use those? Also, what plants will grow out of the water so I can see them? Can I have Corydoras? And lastly, what is the maintenance?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Maintenance of a small outside tub is just like a fish tank. If you want to know what plants to use, look at duanes Pothos thread.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Yes you can use red floater plants (if we're talking Phyllanthus fluitans)

Yes you can have corydoras, but keep in mind what species you're keeping (I wouldn't do salt and peppers C. paleatus, nor would I do sterbais). Heavy aeration would be recommended.

Parrot's feather is commonly noted. I'd recommend looking into a plant like Lobelia cardinalis. Or even better, go with your mom to a garden/pond store so she can see what she might be able to grow. Water lilies are popular.

Maintenance can be anything from no water changes due to minimal fish load, to daily water changes. It depends. Since it's SD and that's a dry place, think of doing at least weekly topoffs.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Maintenance can be anything from no water changes due to minimal fish load, to daily water changes. It depends. Since it's SD and that's a dry place, think of doing at least weekly topoffs.
SD has pretty hard water with the TDS hitting over 400ppm, sometimes 500ppm. Weekly top offs would cause the TDS to go up high.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
SD has pretty hard water with the TDS hitting over 400ppm, sometimes 500ppm. Weekly top offs would cause the TDS to go up high.
Didn't know that about SD. However, also never specified what type of water to top off with ;) . Adding RO or RODI or distilled would work. Rainwater would also work, of course.

However should be noted that you'd probably be better off monetarily by just changing the water weekly.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Ok, I’ll ask my mom to take me to a water garden store near us. Thanks for your help. I’ll see if she really wants to get it. She likes them, but maintenance seems easy.

Reactions: ichthyogeek
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store