Patition to brace.

Shishandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2019
Essex, England
Hello hope someone could help, I have a second hand tank that was used by my LFS it had a partition in the middle, iv taken that out and wondering if I will need to brace it.
Dimensions are 40" long 18" deep 15" high, glass is 6mm thick. Thank you in advance.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Does the tank have a frame around the top?Was there a center brace running front to back ? Is this what you are referring to?
Or was it an actual center partition dividing the tank into two separate tanks?
Either way I would say yes you will need to add some type of center bracing front to back at least at the top of the tank.
I would think that there will be too much bow in the front and back pane of glass without it.

Reactions: Shishandfish

Shishandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2019
Essex, England
Does the tank have a frame around the top?Was there a center brace running front to back ? Is this what you are referring to?
Or was it an actual center partition dividing the tank into two separate tanks?
Either way I would say yes you will need to add some type of center bracing front to back at least at the top of the tank.
I would think that there will be too much bow in the front and back pane of glass without it.
Ok thank you, it had a pane of glass seperating two halves, im thinking of cutting the partition down so its 6" wide and sealant it into the tank front to back at the top, will this work ok?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Ok thank you, it had a pane of glass seperating two halves, im thinking of cutting the partition down so its 6" wide and sealant it into the tank front to back at the top, will this work ok?
Yes it should function as the normal frame would to stiffen up the front and back.
I’ve built many tanks with no frame around the top just the center bracing and it works well.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If it doesn’t hold well you can place a piece to fit inside the front and back and add another piece longer to fit across the top front and back, silicone the two pieces together.

Shishandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2019
Essex, England
If it doesn’t hold well you can place a piece to fit inside the front and back and add another piece longer to fit across the top front and back, silicone the two pieces together.
I shall do a few tests with the single piece and see how it holds, I think if I run a lazer level across the front when I fill it to make sure it doesnt bow. Thank you

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’m confident it will not bow. The issue will be if the single edge will allow enough surface area for the silicone to properly bond.
Ive done it and the center bracing come lose.
It may not if prepped properly.
I was just throwing the fix out there ahead of time just in case.

Shishandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2019
Essex, England
I’m confident it will not bow. The issue will be if the single edge will allow enough surface area for the silicone to properly bond.
Ive done it and the center bracing come lose.
It may not if prepped properly.
I was just throwing the fix out there ahead of time just in case.
Ok cool I totally understand now il just double brace from your experiance. Thanks

Shishandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2019
Essex, England
Just an update on this for yous,
I attempted to cut the partition glass into a brace and it shattered lol, so that was that.

I needed a new idea and this is what I came up with, sorry my phone camera is all I have,
IMG_20191129_145759.jpgIMG_20191129_145806.jpgIMG_20191129_145816.jpgIMG_20191129_145824.jpg

Dont get me wrong its not the neatest solution but it works well the stainless tube is slotted to go over the other piece, then the other pieces spread the load, any comments welcome.

IMG_20191129_145816.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store