Payara or Red Tail Byrcon?

Shakedown211

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2019
My local fish store got these awesome predatory characins in stock. They have both payara and red tail byrcon. I am so tempted to get one of each but I need to research a bit. Luckily, the LFS told me that they would save atleast 1 each for me so I can get at least one when I decide.
The problem I have is that they will be going in my 6' 150 gallon aquarium with some large growing predatory fish. Red hook silver dollars,tiger shovelnose catfish, large bala shark, clown knife, a oscar, lima shovelnose, and a synodontis decorus. There may be a few catfish I forgot.
I've always wanted a payara but have been turned off to them because people say they are almost impossible to keep. Red tail byrcon are a fish I've seen and wanted but realized I didn't have to have them but have now seen one that I like and now that I have a large aquarium wouldn't mind having one.
Could you provide me some info on payara and red tail brycon? Which one would you get? Or would you do 2 payara and skip the brycon or 1 payara and 1 brycon?
I think these payara are schombs. I know they are eating tilapia and market shrimp as the owner showed them eating and he's had them in the shop for month. He's willing to give me a deal if I get more than 1.
I've attached a picture of each.

View attachment 1400545

View attachment 1400546

So which one did you end up getting? I'm also thinking of adding a red tail brycon and tatauaia payara to my datnkid tank. Howd everything turn out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store