Pbass and pellets

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Has anyone ever had any luck getting pbass to eat pellets as their staple? Beautiful fish but I'm looking to avoid feeders.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
I have worked almost all my Peacocks onto pellets.

How large are your cichla? what are they eating now?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I don't currently have any pbass. I'm planning a large tank ~12x4x2.5 and would like to keep a red belly pacu, a shoal of tinfoils and perhaps a giant gourami. I've had cichlids for years and am looking for a large variety that would go nicely in the above tank. I don't want to get into live foods so I want to make sure pellets are a realistic possibility for pbass. At what size did you get your pbass and how easy was the 'converting' process?

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
KNH said:
I don't currently have any pbass. I'm planning a large tank ~12x4x2.5 and would like to keep a red belly pacu, a shoal of tinfoils and perhaps a giant gourami. I've had cichlids for years and am looking for a large variety that would go nicely in the above tank. I don't want to get into live foods so I want to make sure pellets are a realistic possibility for pbass. At what size did you get your pbass and how easy was the 'converting' process?
I usually start at 5+ inches. I dont recomend starving them.

It would be better if you fed them shrimp and other meaty foods instead of pellets though.... Is this something you are OK with?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
They are beautiful fish but feeding shrimp etc is not what I'm looking for. How aggressive are they at meal time? They would have to compete with some very eager tankmates.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
KNH said:
They are beautiful fish but feeding shrimp etc is not what I'm looking for. How aggressive are they at meal time? They would have to compete with some very eager tankmates.

http://imageevent.com/neal/vidclips?p=6&n=1&m=24&c=4&l=0&w=1&s=0&z=2

they are the fastest freshwater fish durring feeding. Only Dorado, ATFs, Emps, ect ect can touch this speed.

I have found that their colors are not that great and their growth rate is slower when feed a diet of solid pellets..

what kind of pellets?

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
PeacockBass said:
http://imageevent.com/neal/vidclips?p=6&n=1&m=24&c=4&l=0&w=1&s=0&z=2

they are the fastest freshwater fish durring feeding. Only Dorado, ATFs, Emps, ect ect can touch this speed.

I have found that their colors are not that great and their growth rate is slower when feed a diet of solid pellets..

what kind of pellets?
Hey Pbass, how many gallons is that pool? that a nice looking set up you have there. Thanks for the vid.

mauls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Kansas City, Missouri
IF i throw my pellets in my pbass will eat them as soon as they hit the water, but if i place them in they wont even bother with it.

But there not a big pellet fan, they love frozen krill and blood worms. Both very safe for pbass.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
I never actually tried getting mine to eat pellets.

I just waited for them to put on some size and now they will eat anything including pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store