Pbass with cloudy eye

retiredrunner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Alabama
I need some serious help. I have been extremely busy the last few weeks and my fish have been suffering for it. I moved my fish about 2 months ago from my apartment back to my parents house until I figured out where I would be for law school this fall. My peacock bass was in a 55 gallon tank and I moved him into a 20 gallon that I set up at home until I can move and get him into the 300 gallon that I plan on making his permanant home. He is not very big at this point (5 inches?) so I think the 20 gallon isnt too cramped for him, but obviously its not ideal. The stress from the move was apparent immedietly as he came down with HITH within a week or so. I got that under control and it appears to not be spreading at this point, but a couple of weeks ago he started to get cloudy eye. I put him on anti bacterial med (tri sulfate? cant remember the name) that was supposed to treat cloudy eye. I removed the carbon and the filter and used most of the treatment with no effect. I made a big water change last Sunday and then I had to leave town because I found out I got into a different law school than the one I was planning on attending. I returned home today and the cloudy eye appears to have gotten much worse. The bass has also only eaten twice this week according to the person who is feeding him. I tested the water and the nitrates were very high which makes sense since the carbon has been out of the filter all week. I made a big water change today and added some nitraban to try and control the nitrates. I also got some new medicine which is supposed to treat cloudy eye, but it is anti-fungal rather than anti bacterial. I put in a dose of that tonight but I need guidance as to where to go from here. I am very attached to this fish and I am angry at myself for being so busy as to not be able to take care of him properly the last few weeks. I dont have a tank set up for him at my new place yet, but I do have his original 55gallon there. I am debating as to whether I should take him with me back to school tommorrow and hastily set the tank up so that I can start actively supervising his condition and make more efforts to get him to start eating. He is blind at this point from the cloudy eye so I have been putting shrimp into a net and lettign him eat it out of the since this started. Last week he was eating ok, but apparently that changed the last few days. I am hoping that the nitrate levels being off the chart were the reason why he wasnt eating the last few days but any guidance on that area would also be great. My other tank info is as follows: temp low 80s, nitrates none, ph soft. Thanks a ton for any ideas/advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store