Peacock Bass

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
hi guys,

anyone here keeps pb? i've just started keeping them cos i just love the green color on them and of course not forgeting the peacock like eye at the tail :hearts: . bought a pair of 2 inches pb to start off with. hoping to learn somehting about them from members here.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
DanDanThePiranhaMan said:
For starter's mate do you realize how big they can grow???

Danny those are grown in the river. They would not hit that size in the home aquaria. We must realize that max size in the wild will differ against the size fish
will hit in aquariums.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
redtailfool said:
Danny those are grown in the river. They would not hit that size in the home aquaria. We must realize that max size in the wild will differ against the size fish
will hit in aquariums.
Or maybe people just aren't keeping them in the aquarium sizes they need... perhaps the small peacock bass found in the aquaria are a sign that 240g is not suitable for life, for Temensis at the very least. Only speculation, since I have no hard evidence, but I think its still a very viable argument.

xrtg a 125g would prolly work for a year or two, depending on your peacock's specie... since you're in singapore, I don't have any clue whether temensis is regularly available there or not. Temensis is the biggest specie, which can reach 3 feet. The other two species available, ocellaris and monoculus, max around 2 feet.

peacock bass make good tankmates for arrows and datnoids and most large popular fish for that matter. Feed them the same stuff you feed your other fish, and keep them at the same temp you keep your other fish. But if possible, it would be best to feed your peacocks live feeder fish such as barbs or platies; peacocks are fish-eaters in the wild, and so they'd appreciate live food the most. Expect growth around 1" a month till maybe 8" or so.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info on the growth rate and max size. Currently they are housed in a 3 feet tank. I'll house them there till they reach 6~8 inches else my arowanas will make a meal out of them. They will be transfered to my 5feet tank once they reach that size. :)

Depending on situation, if i fail to get a larger tank when they out grow my 5feet tank, I'll release them back to the reservoir where many other pb can be found. :)

I can't tell the breed of pb i'm having as the pictures on the web are all about huge adults. How can I tell?

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
redtailfool said:
will hit in aquariums.

Oh?

Please, tell me why. Tell me why a tank raised fish will automatically me smaller then a wild fish.

Elaborate, please.

P45 is correct.

e!o!z!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
size of a tank even a huge tank like 1000 gallons does not come even close to the miles of river that fish in the wild have to roam. That is the major reason the second would be volume of food. Your tank would be a consist mess if you tried to feed the fish like it eats in the wild.

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
I've killed 3 PB's!

3!!

I've also killed 3 SILVERS.

3!!!

That makes me cry.

Good luck to you sir.
I don't know ANYONE else who has killed Pb's.
Only I. :cry:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store