Peacock cichlid acting stressed?

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
One of my peacock cichlids is acting strangely, possibly like it is stressed. It is just hanging out at the top of the tank in the corner and is uninterested in food. It isn't getting picked on or injured. It has no issues swimming either. Any idea what's up with it and how I can help it get better?

Edit: I should also mention that it is swimming in place into the flow of the filter, and tries to chase off other fish that approach it

Last edited:

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
There are several possibilities; if the Peacock is female, she might be holding. A hunger strike might be the result of Malawi Bloat. Constant steady swimming into the current often indicates a water parameter problem, possibly an ammonia spike. If possible provide some pics.

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
There are several possibilities; if the Peacock is female, she might be holding. A hunger strike might be the result of Malawi Bloat. Constant steady swimming into the current often indicates a water parameter problem, possibly an ammonia spike. If possible provide some pics.
Here is a pic

Water parameters are

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate 5ppm
PH 7.6

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Bloated. Possibly egg bound. Egg bound is difficult to treat, usually Epsom salt, which can also help with bloat. Beyond that I'd look at treatment for bloat. Bloating most often results from either an individual fish that overfeeds, even if the tank overall isn't overfed, or from being harassed.

As mentioned, quite often aggression takes place after lights are out or when you're not in the room, and you don't see it. So I wouldn't rule it out. Learning this and learning to recognize early signs of either bloat or aggression saved me a lot of fish.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Sorry for your loss. For future reference, the split fins would be categorized as an injury.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store