Peacock Eel suddenly dead

easternkingbird

Feeder Fish
Sep 30, 2018
Hi everyone

I‘ve had a small peacock eel I got from a breeder about 9 months ago with a size of 4cm. Since then he‘d grown to 10cm, fed bloodworms every second day and occasionally white worms, tubifex and small earthworms. Tank is a 33g he‘s been inhabitating with a zebra spiny eel and a couple of kuhli loaches. The tank is planted and has bogwood and very very small round gravel mixed with sand.
Tank has been up and running for one and a half years. The case of ich I thought I had was none, thankfully (last year, just me panicking)

Yesterday evening I fed both eels and they were active and happily wriggling around, this morning I find him lying dead on the ground, belly full - just dead. He was beautifully colored, steadily growing and the tank upgrade is already in the garage.

Since he was easily spooked sometimes I assume he got spooked by something and ran into the glass?
I‘ve had a thorough look at him after he died and could find no parasites, no injuries, just a beautifully colored eel - except for him being dead.

Any ideas?
I did a 50% water change this morning to keep my zebra safe.
We are currently under a heatwave and the tank is at an unusual 28C at the moment. Maybe this weakened him?

I‘d like to hear your opinion, even if it says that I just had some dumb luck :/

Kind Regards

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say the cause but could be trauma. Something internal that not visibly seen. Sorry for the loss.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store