Peacock or Hap ?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I bought this little guy / gal a few months ago along with a few others from the typical grab bag unsexed juvenile Peacock tank. I scored pretty well. Apparently all males, and coloring up nicely. This fish was noticably different. Thinking it was a baby Red Empress mistakenly thrown into the mix, I bought it. Since then, it has developed a sulphur stripe spanning from head to tail and it's face is turning blue. It is also getting a thick blocky shape. I'm normally pretty good at fish identification, but this one has me at a loss. 20181104_095215.jpg 20181024_090236.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I bought this little guy / gal a few months ago along with a few others from the typical grab bag unsexed juvenile Peacock tank. I scored pretty well. Apparently all males, and coloring up nicely. This fish was noticably different. Thinking it was a baby Red Empress mistakenly thrown into the mix, I bought it. Since then, it has developed a sulphur stripe spanning from head to tail and it's face is turning blue. It is also getting a thick blocky shape. I'm normally pretty good at fish identification, but this one has me at a loss. View attachment 1342544 View attachment 1342545

Looks like a Hap to me also but unsure.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Fyi, I just checked my gallery. The juvie pic I posted is from 01/06/18. That transformation only took 10 months!
Enjoy watching him. I would love to see update pics of his progress.
My haps are so much more timid and laid back compared to my peacocks.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
This one was only a half an inch long when purchased and is currently just under two inches. It's growing faster than the noted juvenile peacocks. It's not timid, but not as assertive as some of the peacocks. Hope its a male. I'll post pics as he progresses. Thanks guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store