Pearl Gourami with Senegal or Delhezi

Cryolath

Jack Dempsey
Mar 24, 2010
United States
Sorry for yet another stocking thread! Long time lurker, I just got my largest ever tank (previous largest tank was 20 gallons), and working on stocking options.

I have a 75 gallon tank that has just started cycling, the plan at the moment is to have 5 pearl gourami and then 3 either senegal or delhezi bichir ( I was considering polli as well, but I don't know if they will be available at all). I am leaning towards senegals because they seem to be more active overall, but I do like the delhezi patterns.
From reading threads it seems the delhezi are more prone to eating larger tankmates than the senegals, and the pearl gourami seem to be in a bit of questionable range with their adult size being just under 5".

I was wondering if there was anyone with personal experience with pearl gourami when the poly's get to adult size.

Thanks everyone for your time.

IMG_9363.jpg

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
There will be no problems with either senegals or delhezis. Pretty hard for either species to swallow a 5-inch, deep-bodied fish.

Cryolath

Jack Dempsey
Mar 24, 2010
United States
Thanks for the reply!
My initial plan had been to get senegals and a school of congo tetras. Then when I decided more towards delhezi's it seems that congos would definitely be food.
The guy at the LFS was concerned about keeping Pearl Gourami with bichirs at all, so I figured I would ask here and hopefully get some opinions from people who may have tried it and how it went.
I wanted to ask before I got the gourami rather than after!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store