Pearl male juvenile acting sick. Urgent

fishtanktaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Hey!
My 10 month pearl male is acting wierd, sick and weak. He’s going together with a pearl female and a BD female in the same size. Aprox. 9 inches.
He sort of lifts his disk but not much. Not doing the curl really. More like not holding it down to the bottom in the waterstream. Holds up his disk in front of mouth pretty often/much. He rater go around the other rays and roots och such instead of over like he use to do. And as his tankmates does. Never around usually, for the most they all go over things. He seems weak and laying around most of the time. He used to swim alot up and down the tank front but not now.
This behavior have been going on for three days now.
Waterparameters are fine. No nitrite, nitrate or amonium. PH at 7.2.
Three days ago i noticed something was wrong when feeding. Everyone ate as usuall, like pigs. Not him, no interest of the food at all for the first time ever. Then i got the first feeling something was wrong. I watched him all night and realized his odd behavior with the disk lifting and he seemed weaker some how.
I tested the water, nothing was bad at all.
Changed 50-60% of water anyway. Rised the temperature from 27,5 to 29 and added some salt. One DL salt / 100L volume in tank.
Day two he still behaving like yesterday but he ate one small bit of repashy bottomscratcher. Not much at all.
Started medicine, with prazi.
After 6h changed 3/4 volume.
Added som more salt. Now up to 1.5 DL/Litre volume in tank. Tank is btw 900L.
All day two still weak and and lifting his disk sometimes wich makes me get very nervous!
I have doxycycline fish antibiotic also so starts this to against ev. Bacteriarelated issue.
Day three still the same as two days ago, but again eat a small small piece ones again. But not as much he should or use to. Water change 50% in order for the prazi medicine. And again dosing the doxycycline. Still seemes weak and inactive. The other two rays are happy and active eaters, and swimmers.

Anyone have an idea of what could be the problem? I am very open for any suggestions of what it could be and what more or else i can do?
I am very thankful for all help i can get from anyone<3

fishtanktaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Okey but Aquarium Münster ”Dactymor” is the med i use with actice ingrediens Praziquantel and the manual says medication for 6h and then change 3/4 of volume, and 50% the day after. Its not praziPro as i seen many use, but still the same ingredient.
Thank you for answering Jim!
Yes maybe not stress them out with any more things now. The Dactymor mediciation should be repeated in aprox one week to get larvae/eggs also. Hopefully he will be fine by then. Any idea of what it could have been or what it is that could be the problem?:/

Reactions: moosemj

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I agree with Jim, be careful to just throw a bunch of meds in without knowing it’s needed. It couldnegatively impact the others and not help the sick one.

Watch them and see what’s going on. They can be touchy and if stressed go off feeding. Sometimes for extended periods of time and then start up again. Do t want that to happen, but it can.

Reactions: fishtanktaco

fishtanktaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
No ofcourse not 0 but there was no amount of Nitrite, Nitrate or Amonium that could be the problem. There was such small/normal amount, and since i pretty much never have problem with the water due to good filtration and sceduled waterchanges e5d i couldnt see that could be the problem.

However!! :)
The ray is back on track!
He is now active and eats like he should again:D
I thought i will loose him for a couple of days but one morning he was back to beeing an active hungry and happy ray again. Now as wee speak i doing the 2 medication with the prazi med Aquarium Münster Dactymor as i supposed aprox one week after the first one as the manufacturer says i should to also get the parasites wich was in eggstadium at the first medication.

Whats makes me curiuos tho is how so few people here in this community had any tips or suggestions on what it could be, what i could do or anything to say to help.
Alot of you read the thread but have nothing to say, just two nice people, Jim and Moosemj. Thats pretty wierd i think.
And even to ask if nitrite is really 0 is actually in my opinion a stupid question to ask.. And not to any help for anyone.
I vrote that there was 0 to ensure you guys that there was 0 no problem with that. And anyone who have or have or have had big/predators knows that its never 0. Unless its not a completely new tank, with no fishes what so ever and uncykled water and filtration.

A thread like this is ofcourse made by one very concerned fishowner who is in need of help right now. And thankfully i either knew more what to do than all of you who couldnt come up with any suggestions or tips. I guess it’s so..
Or either you are not in the mood to help other people.. A thread like this.. Is not only a big help for me right now, this time. It could be a great help for maybe 5-10 or even 50 or hundreds of other people having the same problem or questions in a week, next month or even in a year or two. But not this thread, not this time..

Help each other guys and gals!
If you know anything that could be a help for anyone, help out then!

My rays are fine and my nitrite also
Thank you!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
The problem with sick rays is that unless you are in front of the tank to see the fish over a period of time, it is very difficult to make a judgement as to what is exactly wrong.
People can only give advice if they know exactly what the issue is and exactly the correct treatment.
Most people will want to know that the water is stable and as it should be with low nitrates but not zero nitrates.
Nitrites should be zero simple as that.
Don't get confused between nitrates and nitrites.
You would not be happy if you had 5 different people giving you 5 different methods of treatment.
You may not know which one of the 5 is the correct treatment.
The worst thing any keeper can do is panic and try all 5 treatments.
9 times out of 10 this will just kill the fish and then you have no idea what the issue was should you come across the same problem again.
Its not that people don't want to help. Its that people don't know how to help without all the facts in front of them.
Hope that makes sense.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Learnt new thing today zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate does not mean zero and is stupid to assume it's really zero

So is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate zero or not zero... and small amount of what, ammonia, nitrite or nitrate or all 3? Lol

But I guess it does not matter now

congrats on your ray recovering....

Reactions: fishtanktaco

fishtanktaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
The problem with sick rays is that unless you are in front of the tank to see the fish over a period of time, it is very difficult to make a judgement as to what is exactly wrong.
People can only give advice if they know exactly what the issue is and exactly the correct treatment.
Most people will want to know that the water is stable and as it should be with low nitrates but not zero nitrates.
Nitrites should be zero simple as that.
Don't get confused between nitrates and nitrites.
You would not be happy if you had 5 different people giving you 5 different methods of treatment.
You may not know which one of the 5 is the correct treatment.
The worst thing any keeper can do is panic and try all 5 treatments.
9 times out of 10 this will just kill the fish and then you have no idea what the issue was should you come across the same problem again.
Its not that people don't want to help. Its that people don't know how to help without all the facts in front of them.
Hope that makes sense.
Yes Jim, Thank you! It sure does make sense. But i must say i dont totally agree.
Even though im not new to rays i always get nervous when something feels wrong.
But even when you know pretty much what to do youself and people you ask who doesnt have seen the ray or how it is acting it is in my opinion better when someone ask for help to try to help and suggest what they think could be the right metod or right medication or whatever instead of not even try to help. Any help is often better than no help at all, i think.
And youre right probably, i could or anyone else who read the thread who is in need of the same help could end up with alot of diffrent ways to go. And that! Thats fu..ing awesome if anything is! IMO.
Because then i, or the next nervous rayowner can try the one method of treatment that sounds like the solution or that feels most secure or what ever the issue could be. But in cases like this when none suprizingly and suddenly have nothing to say for once no one got smarter.
Except for the mitsubishiracer who learnt about Reading between the lines is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store