Peauut Power, you freak

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Haha...score!! Peauut Power strikes again!! ;) I wanna say something before I say anything else. Pikes aren't forevery one. Some people become obsessed about them (me) right from that start. Other peeps gradually learn to like them. Still others give them a try and learn they are not for them (Levi...haha). They are great fish, with lots of personality and spunk. They can be aggressive, and grow large though, so you have to be able to handle both of those. IF you still think you want to give them a try, keep reading...;)

Pikes can hold their own...normally when i introduce new pikes to tankz i am not worried about aggression from the other tank mates cuz the pike will right from the start stick up for himself as long as they aren't too much bigger than him. Squabbles are relatively common until they have established their dominance and understanding.

Your tank would be suitable except for one thing. The bichir is rather large already, and pikes are compressed and torpedo shaped. This makes them easy meals to larger predators. If you could find a pike that is about 3" or so you will be aight. They do grow fast, and what taz means is that by the end of the year the Crenicichla johanna (redpike) will probably be as large or larger than your bichir...;). They are gluttons, and some of the funnest fish to watch eat next to pbass.

Pikes when they are below 4" are more sensative to water quality and other factors. They are still pretty hardy, but you must keep up on your water changes and keep their bellies full...;). Temperment varies from fish to fish, some are aggressive beyond compare, while others of the same species can be kept wit the most docile of fishies. They are just like people, each one has its own personality. They also go through several color changes as they mature. The pike you see now will look quite different as an adult. For the most part Lugubris group pikes (johanna is in this group) go through at least two color changes before they are adults, with the end result being better than the juv. It really is awesome to see happen over a course of several months! They are VERY tolerable of water conditions....from hard, 8.6 pH water to super soft, 4.5pH..pikes will thrive. For the general rule though, softer, lower pH is better. All pikes come from South America so they appreciate these parameters better. Driftwood, live plants, caves, rocks, regular decor. Pikes for the most part won't dig up plants and what not, which is a bonus cuz they look great in a planted tank.

If you get it small and grow it up with your other fish, you shouldn't have problems. Introducing large pikes into tanks with large fish is generally not a good idea cuz they are territorial and don't back down from a fight. I guess they don't do good with dats either, but that might just have been Levis bad luck...haha. Yup.....any more questions?

I think pikes are worth it. If you end up deciding you don't want it, there are tons of other people that will. Keep in mind that C. johanna are some of the more common, less colorful of the pikes....;).

Taz2478

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
not where I'm supposed to be
the missing N is too funny, especially when he said he edited it and still forgot it.

you must be practicing for some aquatic papers or trying to help Kutty update LOL, that was good.

I raised 2 reds from an inch, one died @ about a month (eaten by a BB) and the other was doing great till Ras took it and didnt take care of it @ 3". It got to 7 fast but started diein.

toomanyfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
the missing N is too funny, especially when he said he edited it and still forgot it.

you must be practicing for some aquatic papers or trying to help Kutty update LOL, that was good.

I raised 2 reds from an inch, one died @ about a month (eaten by a BB) and the other was doing great till Ras took it and didnt take care of it @ 3". It got to 7 fast but started diein.

What's a BB:confused: Also it wasn't taken care of but grew from 3" to 7" fast then started diein (dying?) :WTF:

fish speaker

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
NC, USA
BB probably would be a black belt cichlid (Vieja maculicauda).

On the plant comment, I have a large female marmorata that digs in the sand more than any fish I have...and I have some real earth-movers! Because of that, she accidentally messes with the plants, but at least she doesn't shred them like some of them do.

I'd say if you have the tank space, and don't mind a little aggression, give them a try!:thumbsup:

Off topic: who comes up with the little names they tag you with based on number of posts? I just noticed that I'm now a convict! That just doesn't sound right. :D

Taz2478

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
not where I'm supposed to be
yep Black Belt, sorry for my internet abreviation habits.

and yes it was raised in a 55 from 1-3" (about 4 months) and then I gave it to ras for his 120 which by then it was eating everything.

we and the store have had pikes just start geting slugish but still eat then endup dead one morning. From what Ive seen it looked like bloat.

so take care of the lil one and it will be all good.

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
hey i believe i needed to do better water changes also and now every body else is happy but i will get me another pike for my tank!!!! thats a fact jack and taz:swear: u

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store